Speakers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Speakers

My Samurai is a soft top and I need to put in some speakers.
The only place I can see to fit them is the footwell down by my feet. There are already holes there (maybe orginal from the factory) but I had trouble finding speakers that would fit. Where else can you put them in a soft top? It seems fairly limited, also I don't know the best size speakers to use.Any ideas would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 03:06 PM

Re: Speakers

Get you a cruchfield catalog and cross reference your vehicle. Easier way is go to a audio shop and ask them.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 05:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Gartshore,
I just added speakers in the stock location. Crutchfield states that it will handle a 4" speaker. However, it will also handle a 6 1/2" speaker. Use a foam baffle or slide in some egg crate foam to remove some of the "tinniness". It made a big difference. On the passenger side, you'll probably have to trim the plastic tray depending on hoe much the speaker and grill protrudes..... Hope this helps...

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 05:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Gartshore,
I have a "kicker" box mounted on the tailgate and tweeters mounted on the targa bar, all driven by a 300 watt amp. It cranks! Hope this helps....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 05:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I had 2 6 1/2 pioneer 2 ways in the front, one powered kenwood 8" sub (kinda like a cannon) locked to the rollbar with a cable and i built a custom box and mounted 2 6x9 4way pioneers in the tailgate. The tailgate is hollow and seperated into 3 sections. I used 3/4 inch birch to build the box.

It screamed with high and hit hard as hell with lows. Oh ya i didnt have any amps. Just a jvc tape deck w/cd changer.

Will

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 06:43 PM

I spent the last weekend answering your question ;o)

4" speakers in stock position,
2 tweeters on the dash (make a hell of a difference)
6x9" speakers in the rear door (w/ 1/2" planket, carpeted it) - gives a lot of ooompf!

this should be louder thant your softtop ;o)

bye
alfred

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 08:56 PM

I put 6 1/2" 105 watt kenwoods (low profile) in the targa underneath the seat belts. I put matching ones in the factory holes under the dash. The speakers in the targa are right where you need them, by your ear. When the tops are off and the wind is kickin', you can still hear the tunes. It is not easy however to create a hole in the targa due to the stiffener under the inside skin of the targa. You can run the wires through the rockers, up through the seatbelt retractor opening and through the hole inside the bottom of the targa. I used 18ga. extension cord wire due to it's thick covering (cuts and rubs REALLY suck for sound quality).

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 11:20 PM
SRN

Ive got 5 1/4" Boston Aqustics CX-5's in the factory holes. Fit just fine.

SRN
'86 Samurai "Simple Sami MK2"
http://home.off-road.com/~zukinet
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 04:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a box fitted behind the rear seats, holding a 18" JBL subwoofer and two 6x9" JBL speakers. These are connected to the high and low pass sections of a crossover mounted in the drivers footweel, and two 180wat RMS amps uner the drivers seat (heated seats!). There is a CD changer under the passenger's seat. It's very loud.

The streets are quiet like a sleeping army
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 07:13 PM
Old Hand

I have your answers my brother. I put 51/2 in stock place, then run a 600 watt amp per channel times 4 channels and mounted that under the rear seat. that thing is bumping 2 6x9's in a box that I mounted over the wheels in the rear, 3 51/2's that I mounted to the rear door, I plan on mounting 2 more 6x9 boxes to the rear bars on my roll cage and I'm looking for Feiro seats or Miata seats cause they have speakers in the head rests plus I have 2 tweeters in the dash. my zook bumps when ever my Fraterity has a cook out or anything out side we just turn on my radio instead of turning on our party system.

Driving off-road needs to be done well, like throwing a fly at a rising trout in dark, calm waters. Take pride in the task, and the reward is more than the destination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode