Rear Carrier - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 07:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear Carrier

1988 Samurai

This weekend I plan on attempting to remove the rear carrier. I am comfortable with removing the axles but don't know exactly what has to be done to remove the carrier. Does anyone have the service manual with the explanation on how to remove it. I have a Hayes manual and it doen't even have the carrier listed. If someone could give me the step by step it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 01:13 PM

Re: Rear Carrier

First off, Do you need to know how to remove the carrier or the third member? I am thinking you mean the third member. It is a piece of cake. After you pull the axles drain the fluid, disconnect your driveshaft. Then take out the twelve or so bolts that hold it on. You might need a rubber hammer to tap the member to losen it up. then pull it out. As far as the carrier if you want it out. Your best bet is take it to a professional.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry for not making myself clear enough but here is more detail. The end result that I wish to get is to be able to take out whatever is holding the pinion bearings in. I would like to take that piece, carrier or third member, not sure, to the dealer and have them remove and replace the pinion bearings.
Are there any other bearings that I can do at the same time. I would not like to have to open it up 6 months down the road due to lazyness ).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 02:59 PM

The pinion is what your driveshaft mounts to. If you are not familiar with setting up a rear end. Then take it to a professional. Anytime you remove the carrier you need to have the backlash redone. It's easy but you need to understand what you are doing and have the right equipment to do the job. If its out check the carrier bearings and crush sleeve.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good idea taking it to a pro to change the bearing. Once you have the third member out, and its not that hard have the pro you take it to check all gears and bearings. They will know what to look for and how to set it up. Also if you plan to do any upgrades now would be the time to do them.

1985 fullsize Jimmy 4x4, 1990 GEO Tracker 4x4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you for all your help but I still don't have an answer to my question. Alot of the answers posted are generalized answers. What I need is more detail on how to get the carrier or third member out (still not sure of the differences between the two). Like I posted before my task is to remove whatever is required to get out the pinion bearings. I will then take whatever contains those bearings to the dealer to get replaced.
Does anyone have specifics on this process. I can easliy get out the axles because I have replace a wheel bearing before. The help needed is to get out the pinion bearings from in side the pumpkin.

Thanks

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 05:26 PM

In my first post I told you how to get the third member out. It contains the carrier and the pinion bearing. If you can't figure that out maybe you need to take the whole thing to a professional. It is easier than taking out the axles.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 05:51 PM
Addict

Once the axles are out just remove the bolts from the front of the third member and pull. take the whole third member assembly to the shop and have them replace the bearings.

Lonny - Redmond, WA
87' Stomper, SOA, Missing Links, Z-bar Eliminator, 5.125RP, 4.16TC, lockers, bead locks and 33" Boggers
www.mystomper.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was resently looking at a blown up schematic of the rear dif. I noticed that there are two other bearing called "Side Bearings". Should I bother replacing these as well since I am getting the others replaced. I got a pricing on them and they are very expensive.
What do you think?

Thanks

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 05:20 PM
Addict

I wouldnt replace them even if they were bad. Sammi 3rd members are cheap and easy to replace the whole unit if needed.

I have a couple sitting in my garage I would give away as do a lot of folks on this list Im sure.

Lonny - Redmond, WA
87' Stomper, SOA, Missing Links, Z-bar Eliminator, 5.125RP, 4.16TC, lockers, bead locks and 33" Boggers
www.mystomper.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode