Twisted axle shaft splines - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Twisted axle shaft splines

Okay, while installing my rear disc brakes this weekend, I had to pull the axles. First the passenger side. That shaft was fine.

Next the drivers side. The splines are twisted a good 3mm+. My heart stopped for a brief while.

Now, besides the obvious reason of bunny hopping my rig up rock faces with a locked rear, 4.16 & 31"s, what else could cause this?

It's only the driver's side. Could it be a locker problem? I don't think so, but it has been popping a lot lately.

Does it make sense to only twist one side? It probably does. How easy do the stock shafts sheer off? Anyone running the 4140 chromemoly shafts?

Just being careful before I slide my replacement in.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 08:09 AM
Old Hand

Re: Twisted axle shaft splines

Yankee Tim

Twisting the driver's side axle shaft is common. While on the Rubicon, I snapped mine, due to metal fatigue in that axle shaft. If you would mark a stock one, then check it later, you will find they will twist several times over the years. (per Brent @ Trail Tough)

Mine broke, and when I checked it, found an old crack and the new break to the remaining part. Cause? Metal fatigue, I only had rear lockers, and put all the stress on the rear axle.

Mine was like your's only twisted on the end.

Cure, find one that is good, and use front and rear lockers, take it easy on the hard trails, or go BIG (Dana) or something like the Hybread axle shafts.

Hope this helps.

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com

"We make your Suzuki ZIP for less"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 01:03 PM

every axle I have broke has been the driver's side. I am not a mechanical enigineer but here is how I see it. the longer the axle the more stress it takes on. Something like a cheater bar. The longer the bar you have, the more torque you can apply. I hope that makes sense. every back axle has broke when I applied to much throttle tring to hop up a rock or ledge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Dave & Sami ,

I kinda knew the answer, but was in denial. My answer to no forward motion many times is to throttle-mash it. Going up hills, this creates the very characteristic "bunny hop" I refer to.

I've done it many times. Each time I got away with it wondering why I didn't break a axle or at least a u-joint. Gob bless the lite-weight Sammy.

But now it is time to pay the piper. Oh, Wildweasel, if you're reading this. It won't hurt for you to check it out this winter too![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

As for the bigger axles, well, I sorta got a Suzuki "purist" thing going on. I'm one of those types. Danas on my rig would be like Gordon driving a Ford.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Hybrids are my choice, and will most likely be going with the Spidertrax full-floater in my next incarnation.

Thanks for the reassurance that I'm just looking at normal carnage.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 08:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes Tim I am reading, As to you implying that I am a little rough on the truck I resemble that remark...
I plan On putting my spares into the hybred axle as I build it up and look real close at the ones I have been running. Besides I only hop it if I'm gonna fall off a rock face.....

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TrailTough has an awsome full floater adapter they are making with disk brakes, Brent says Lockers add stress to your axle all the time not just on the trail but on the road too. So I chose ARBs so I only stress on the trail. I hope to get the new full floater soon and hope the axles he has made are as tough as he says....Greg

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 05:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Trailtoughs full floater costs $749 and uses Subaru discs for the brakes which have an E-brake. Yankee Tim, that should solve your E-brake problem.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

<font color=blue>*squinching as though tempted by a forbidden fruit*</font color=blue>

God that would answer a lot for me AND is a great sounding idea for my tightwad Scottish arse. Very morally complexed about using another Auto manufacture's part on my rig. You know I'm [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]silly[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] like that. But if I follow the same line of reasoning I used before to justify to myself how I could install those Ford upper mounts, I might be able to go thru with it.

<font color=blue>*Zooky sits wondering if Yankee Tim has a few lug nuts loose*</font color=blue>

But then again, I've know Eddie for a while and wheeled with him when their floater was being tested and he's always been a great guy to me (No offense to anyone[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). I think on that reason alone, and I know thier set-up works well, I probably go with the Spidetrax when that day comes (next year?).

Thanks for the thought food. Gawd, that price makes it tempting...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 05:45 PM

I wheel my Sami pretty hard and have broke a few axles. You know I really was at fault each time. It took a lot to bust a rear axle. Those hybrid axles seem awful expensive. I don't know if the ends justfy the means. I bought some Dana 44s and thought that was the way to go, but ended up selling them. The replacement axles aren't that expensive and I carry spares. I have wheeled hard for 6 years and have broken four axles an that is still half the price of a hybrid unit.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spare Axle shafts?...humm...... Where and how much? Those are as rare as rooster eggs around here. I thought I saw some online with one of the after market places.....any one able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Reuben in VA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode