What is normal after installing longer shackles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What is normal after installing longer shackles

What is normal for the stock springs after installing 2 inch over shackles to a 4 inch SPOA? The front springs appear to have flat arch and the rears have a slight positive arch after installing the 2 inch over shackles from Rocky Road. Is this normal?
Just a note I flat towed my Zuki to the my deer lease this weekend. It towed great and performed wonderful in the nasty weather and terrain. This is the first time I have had it out with all the modifications (spoa, over shackles and 31 inch tires.) My hunting partners with there big Chevy Z-71s are no longer laughing at the "little monster". I can go places they couldn't and would try. They have a new respect for the "little monster" now. I had read a post that suggested when flat towing to place the transfer in neutral and the transmission in second. Why the transmission in second? Doesn't the transfer in neutral disconnect the transmission and keep it from being turned by the drive shaft from the rear axle. Your input is appreciated.

bucwheat
88 1/2 Zuk
4 inch SPOA, Rancho 5000s
2 inch over Shackles
1 inch body lift
Full Camo
Coyotes beware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 06:23 PM

Re: What is normal after installing longer shackles

I installed 2"shackle also,and my springs are flat also.but I stayed spua and the only thing that It did for mine was give me a worse castor angle but my rear is up a tad with it.BTW,I went to the deer lease as well and it came up a flood, it rained so hard(or so it seemed!)Deer are in rut here[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]but I just saw a couple of does.But anyway I was wondering if putting A spring lift on if It would improve my angle.

If you dont stand for something,youll fall for anything.No shame in HIS name[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would have to say that putting the main trans. in second or any gear for that matter, would insure that the mainshaft could not turn for any reason i.e. cold lube in transfer or mistakenly having transfer in a gear or whatever. Since the grease in the transfer case would have no particular reason to heat up, especially in colder climes, the possibility exists that the mainshaft in the transmission would be turning inside the neutral gears in an unlubed condition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 08:23 PM

Bucwheat,
The owners manual states "when you flat tow a samurai you must put the transmission in 2nd gear and the transfer case in neutral. The reason for this is because the rear driveshaft is always turning while the sammy is in motion. The output shaft and attached gears inside the transfer case are still turning also, these gears are lubricated while being turned from the rear driveshaft. The transmission however, is NOT properly lubricated if the gears are turned from by output shaft. By putting the transmission in 2nd gear it stops movement of all of the gears inside the trans.
Thus, not running them dry of lubricant. Also the owners manual states that you should stop every 200 miles and start the engine and engage the cluth while still in 2nd gear ( transfer case in neutral)... This ensures proper re-lubrication of any parts that may have dried of lubrication during towing in the trans & transfer case.

FYI, the transmission, transfer case & axles all use SAE 85 - 90W gear oil. DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL. I would recommend changing it every 30k miles on road or every 5k miles off-road. it's really easy to do and costs less than $15. Really cheap insurance. Check the owners manual on how to do this ( that's assuming you have one. I was lucky enough to get one when I bought mine ).
later,
rodnee

Caught by the "ZOOKIE OBSESSION" bug. ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOK.......
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The t-case is first piece in the drive train to be turned by the wheels of a vehicle being towed and should be in nuetral, there would be very little NORMAL wear to the input of the t-case and output of the tranny by spinning caused by cold lube turning them slowly during a tow,and is avoidable by putting it in gear.it's that simple.It is not an automatic and does not rely a pump nor is it damaged by turning the output shaft without tuning the input.And there is no reason at all to stop during a trip and run the engine putting it through the gears,think about it, there is no difference between towing it and letting it sit in your yard, the engine and trans are completely static in both situations.These ideas come from automatic trannys that are lubed by a pump behind the torque converter.Also notice that you can turn the ignition on then off,leaving the key in,the steering will not lock,this lets you pull without having the key in the on position.this actually has more uses from a safety aspect.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 11:51 PM

Why shouldn't you use synthetic lube in the tranny, t-case and differentials?

-Farther
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 05:23 AM

If you do alot of off-road and you dunk your axles or trans ( get water in them) it is real pain ( 5 or 6 times) to flush out, & expensive. Regular gear oil is easy to flush and alot cheaper..
rodnee

Caught by the "ZOOKIE OBSESSION" bug. ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOK.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode