Ragg Jiont - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Ragg Jiont

I have noticed since installing larger tires & a heavy duty steering stabilizer, my steering does not respond well going into turns on the road. When I turn the wheel it requires what seems to be 1/4 more turn. The wheel always never stays centered sometimes right then left of center going down the highway..I have replaced the rag joint and the problem has improved a lot but, it's is still there. Has anyone had problems with this? I was thinking of machining an aliminum disc to replace the joint. I suspect it's main purpose is to lessen steering shock through the steering wheel. When running large tires the weak rubber joint seems way too flimsy... Any input would be appreciated..
rodnee

Caught by the "ZOOKIE OBSESSION" bug. ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOK.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ragg Jiont

mine was getting very worn,so I decided to be smart and reverse the connection and bolt the steering rod flange to the flange of the gear box.Luckily it broke in the yard not rolling,I guess that joint needs the flex of the rubber or else it'll break.

Drive it like you stole it!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2000, 10:35 PM

E-Mail me with a description of your set up. I don't think it is the rag joint.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

NCOffroad,
I have the Calmini 5" lift Shackle reversal , SPUA, and 235/70/15 tires Otherwise stock. & HD steering stabilizer.. After installing the Calmini kit bumpsteer was a constant problem. The delayed steering problem started after installing a HD Steering Stabilizer.. It obvoiusly does a good job. This sammy only has 40k street miles, no worn parts that I could find..
Thanks,
rodnee

Caught by the "ZOOKIE OBSESSION" bug. ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOK.......
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 08:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need to keep that rag joint in there. There is a compound angle in your steering linkage and it needs the flex.

Here's a tip: ALWAYS keep a rag joint in your vehicle. We've had ours and seen others rip apart in the middle of nowhere. This is something to always have in your vehicle as a spare part!!!

On a side note, power steering systems put the power to your wheels after the rag joint. The rag joints will live forever (figuratively speaking) if you have a P/S kit. P/S kits also eliminate bumpsteer. They are the ultimate sterring shock!

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode