Fan clutch ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Fan clutch ??

A buddy of mine has a 88 Sami and the fan clutch is frozen (doesn't spin free). As long as it doesn't overheat, would driving it as is be damaging in some way?

What exactly determines 88 or 88 1/2? His has the square dash but has the 12mm drive shaft bolts. Is his an 88 1/4? Thanks.....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 07:41 AM

Re: Fan clutch ??

Don't know about the fan clutch but the Samurai is an 88.5 if it has the square vents and a 4 spoke steering wheel. My 88.5 also has the 12mm bolts on the driveshaft. I recently ordered some d-shaft spacers from NCOffroad and Tim said that wasn't uncommon. Hope this helps.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 04:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey there man, i ran a froze clutch fan on a one ton ford for over a year, never had any problems.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
MUD is your friend baby!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 05:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Doesn't the clutch just allow the engine to heat up quicker when the its cold so you can get heat faster in the winter? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Jim
http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

Running with a locked up fan clutch is NOT GOOD.Draws lots of extra power from the engine and the water pump bearings are NOT designed to handle the exta load of a fan rotating at full engine speed.A working fan clutch on a warm engine decouples at a around 2200 rpm and and holds that speed regardless of the actual engine rpm.On a cool engine it's just along for the ride. Besides ...take it off and go with an electric and it feels like someone added 10 hp and the a/c works better....at least it did on mine .I used a condenser fan unit off a hyundia elentra...looks like it was made for the zuki,almost the same size as the rad and fits between the rad and water pump pulley.............or I can sell you the used hood that I have lying around after the fan blades make nice big dents in yours

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2000, 06:51 PM

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask about that. I've been considering exchanging the fan for an electric one and was wondering what kinda improvements it would make. what are the shortcomings of going electric? aside from the hyundia fan what other recommendation could you make?

"Ahhhh.... He wants to go off-road!!!!" -Ace Ventura
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess it would not hurt anything as long as the water pump is turning properly. You may want to pull the theromstat out until he gets the cooling system back up and runnig properly.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2000, 03:57 PM

porschefixer, what year did you get the fan off the hyundia? You just replaced the stock fan with this electric condenser one? Was the re wireing easy? Sounds like something I might want to try. Thanks Max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r, j**p eater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode