off topic: GPS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2000, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

off topic: GPS

Hey, just got a Magellan Blazer 12 receiver yday, and wonder if anybody has mounted one in a zuk?

also, could somebody point me to a message-board for gps?

thanks
alfred

ps:
33*24,93 s
70*33,46 w
;o)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 08:17 AM

Re: off topic: GPS

Alfred,
I use GPS on a professional level.. Engineering & Land Surveying.. I also have a Magellan mounted in my sammy... It works great but sucks up batteries like crazy... 4 AA batteries every 3 hours. So, I bought the external power kit and external antenna mount Works great.. The learning curve may take time. Stick to the manual and Just keep playing with it and you'll get the idea... You need a good signal to start...
As for GPS sites there are tons of them but, look for one geared for the handheld and try to stay away from the detailed sites they will only confuse you. You don't need to know how it works ( very very complicated PDOP SS etc.) to become a master of how to use them..
One very important note... They give DIRECT pointing directions (North 15 degrees to your trail head) this is a straight line. It doesn't mean there are trails going this way. If you want to go the way you came to get back. You must learn and use the Tracking, backpoint and Waypoint method to backtrack. Also, take readings 100 yards before ( not at the trail intersections) you make each turn ( a quick push of one button )so you can find your way back. If you copy the intersection it means nothing to you when you arrive going home juast that you're there. Then which trail do you go? 1oo yards up the trail points you in the direction you came!!! It helps to have a passenger to read the GPS while you drive too..
Later, rodnee

Caught by the "ZOOKIE OBSESSION" bug. ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOK.......
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Re: off topic: GPS

thanks, rodnee... great tip w/ the 100 yd... you already safed me some headache ;o)

guess i will go with magellan 12V adaptor and mounting kit... hate to shell out 30+ bucks... but what the heck...

again thanks
alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode