Got back some power - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got back some power

This is my first Sam. It's an 88 and was really a dog. I've owned a few small imports before but never one this sluggish. With 128k on the ticker I had my doubts about doing any good without an overhaul but I was wrong. I set the timing with my usual method of advance until clatter and backing off just a tinch until I could lug the engine without the clatter.Now it still is no barn burner, but it's a LOT better. I pulled the timing belt cover last night and the belt was so stretched that the cam was one full tooth retarded when I get my new cover in from [email protected] I hope to have some more good news to report. By the way, I've installed 4.16 t/c gears and 225-75's with a lockrite in the rear. This thing is AMAZING!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 09:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Got back some power

glad u like your zuk dude. glad to hear bout your good luck in the power search there.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
MUD is your friend baby!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 09:54 PM

Did you have to take the radiator out to pull the belt?I heard you did,so I havent done it yet due to lack of time.Just wonderin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I already had my radiator out because I'm going through my cooling system too (don't want to warp this little aluminum dumplin for want of a clean radiator or a $40 water pump) but if you undo the fan shroud and the fan/clutch assy. and pull them up together I think there is plenty room to change the timing belt. I'd put a new tensioner on too. This thing is just too easy to work on. If you need detailed instructions, let me know. I'll do my best.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 10:35 PM

Just by a visual look under the hood,it seems as if thered be enough room to get the cover off.Is there other more cramped things involved to taking the belt off,or is it just a matter of being careful as to not to damage the fins on the radiator?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ounce you get the shroud and fan out of the way and the other belts, there should be plenty room to remove the four bolts that hold the crank pullys on. It might be a good idea the stand a piece of corrogated cardboard up against the radiator for protection. Then it's just a matter of removing the 6mm bolts and nuts that hold the cover on.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 11:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe, now that I've done this once, that I could change the timing belt and tensioner in an hour or less from opening the hood to closing it. Go for it!!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2000, 12:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey there fellers, hows it goin? bad here, but thats another story. on that timing belt, there is MUCH more room in you remove the rad, but if you do not, you can still do a timing belt job, it is just a little tighter workin. YES, you will have to be careful of the rad fins if you do it with the rad in there
BiLLy bOb

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2000, 07:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does the Sam free spin if the timing belt fails or does it do damage to head and pistons? I'm paranoid of these belted motors nowadays, but it's sure a lot easier changing a timing belt than a timing gear set, at least on the few i've had to do.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2000, 08:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey there papa, i can truly say that i have never had that unfortunate experience. i have scattered a couple motors, (heavy feet dont last long with these gerbals), but never had a timing belt go like that.
sorry i cant help.
BiLLy bOb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode