Upgrades on a budget - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Upgrades on a budget

For general off-road performance enhancement, what should I do and in what order if I had up to $1,500 to invest in my stock 2-door Tracker/Sidekick?

In particular, are there any low-cost improvements that make a big difference?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 08:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Upgrades on a budget

The most budget conscious suspension on the market is the Old Man Emu system. It runs under $600. With various rate springs for 2 or 4 door, and medium or heavy duty, you can really fine tune your suspension. OME is fairly well understood as the finest suspension on th emarket as well.
http://www.rocky-road.com/kickome.html

You can also get some of our inexpensive 1" coil spacers to step your lift up even higher.

For engine upgrades, it will depend on what engine is in your vehicle.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 08:53 AM

since you got the $$,Id make sure everything is in perfect mechanical order first.As far as low cost,unfortunately in our sport,I havent found anything low-cost yet but Id start with the basics-tires,lift,lockers this is pretty much the foundation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 09:02 AM
Can't Get Enough

I'd have to say the single best most important modification would be a good set of tires. Now that may go hand in hand with suspension upgrades, depending on the size of tires. Then you may want to add some good protection - skids and rockers, etc... As you go further, then gears and lockers could be added.
-my 2 cents.

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2000, 11:34 PM

For the most advanced Tracker/Kick suspension on the market, you want the all new 6" kit from Calmini. It absolutely ROCKS! I spent three days in the seat on the Rubicon, and it was a sight to see. Suspension, T-Case set, and Tires. Then add the beefy stuff later. I just bought a 94 Tracker, and will be doing a full blown build up over the next 6 months. We are dedicated to advancing this market, and are already stocking many components for them.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 08:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have to agree with NCO. The Calmini suspension is a SYSTEM and not a "lift kit". Other kits include springs and maybe coil spacers. IMO, coil spacers are on par with lift blocks.

Check out a picture of the Calmini system. Liik at all the parts. They are all needed whan lifting. Check out other kits. DO they have the same amount of stuff?

The hew 3" high articulation kit has had a lot of though go into it. Calmini stood back, re-evaluated it's 2" lift and worked out any existing bugs, like front CV pull-out, and re-engineered it to the 3".

Now they also have a 3" body to add to that so you can run 32"s. And with the new bumper and rock rails made especially for the body loft rig, you get serious clearance and protection.

And as NCO stated Calmini has lots more too. Full front to back skid plates, affordable t-case and R&P gears, and more. No one in the market seems to be taking the potential of the Sidekick/Tracker as serious as Calmini.

Watch for my project build-up this spring on my 2000 Grand Vitara Limited, called PROJECT: UN-Limited. 30"s on a GV!

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 09:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey there man, not a tracker/kick buff too much, but have a opinion. dont know how much lift you want from the rig. yankee tim mentioned a body lift. if it were me, i would probably do the body lift, good tires, and a locker. that is if your rig dont need little things fixed first. good mechanical condition is the first priority. nothin worse than a big rig that is broke everytime you go wheelin. if you want a tall truck, check out the ""lift kits"", like i said, i am not a tracker/kick buff.
just opinions.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
MUD is your friend baby!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2000, 10:26 AM

I would suggest you do the regular maintenance such as tune-up (plugs & wires, distributor cap, etc.), timing belt change (if called for), brakes, clutch adjustment (or change if necessary), K&N air filter, change all fluids (synthetics are good for very hot or very cold climates). Upgrade where ever replacement parts are called for. Then decide what kind of off-road use you intend on doing. If greater ground clearance is called for then prioritize your purchases. If no lift is necessay then, after the maintenence, tires & wheels might be called for. Some things follow a natural progression. Such as, if your off-road wheeling calls for it, you need a taller suspension will come before taller tires. Skid plates may be called for somewhere in here. If you follow a prescribed plan (determined by you) then you can budget better and plan ahead. That being said, if I have to make one recommendation, it is to take care of what you have first and do the routine maintenance.
Good Luck,

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode