Overcooling? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 06:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Overcooling?

Hi folks;

I have a 1990 Samurai with a G13A engine, when running it around town or on open road the water temperature gauge reads about 2mm above the minimum orange line. When strained, or in (one of the many British)traffic jams it reads about 4mm above the line at the most. The outside air temperature in the UK is about 10 degrees C, Is this normal?

It used to read half way up the scale, but I had to replace the radiator because it was blocked, and after that the reading went way down.

The engine also misfires and lacks power when the gas is held half way down, if I keep driving for say 10 miles like this then it loses almost all it's power, and then if I let it idle it stalls and won't restart unless I leave it for about 10 mins.

It only does this when driving, If I start it and let it idle with any amount of gas it's fine.

I've just replaced the head gasket and there is no water or compression loss, but I did notice that when I disconnected the two water tubes at the top rear of the carb after draining the cooling system they were dry, but all the others were damp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers, Scott.

The streets are quiet like a sleeping army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 06:29 AM

Re: Overcooling?

Sounds like its time for a new thermostat, and your catalytic converter may be clogged. When it does the get hot won't idle and die thing, look at the cat and see if it is glowing,or is putting off and excess amount of heat. Just a thought.
David G.

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 06:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, I'll test the thermostat. My Samurai doesn't have a cat though.

Cheers, Scott.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 09:43 AM
JKing

Hi,

spark plug needs changing? heat range correct?

just thought so.... I may not be correct.

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (SJ413 Jimny in Asia)
K&N Air Filter, Shackle Lift, Larger Than Stock Tires,Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Gabriel Gas Ryder Shocks
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cheers,

I checked the plugs when I did the head gasket - I'm not sure what you mean by the heat range?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 10:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you said that the tubes at the carb were dry sounds like your choke isn't getting water flow to operate properly this might be why you aren't idleing IE: the choke is fully on and flooding

famous last words "BET YOU CAN'T DO THIS"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 11:14 AM
JKing

spark plugs have heat ranges. too cold and your plug fouls, too hot.......very bad. overheats engine and possibly detonation.

the suzuki samurai uses NGK BP5ES or BPR5ES , Bosch W8DC or WR8DC or the platinum Bosch W8DP or WR8DP Platinum plugs are the best. last a long time and gives slightly better fuel economy.

Usually the alphabet 'R' stands for resistor.

Look here...... an interesting link about plugs I found some time ago....

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pbegley/ngk.htm
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pbegley/bosch.htm
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pbegley/crossref.htm

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (SJ413 Jimny in Asia)
K&N Air Filter, Shackle Lift, Larger Than Stock Tires,Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Gabriel Gas Ryder Shocks
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem and I took out the thermostat...the rod going through the centre of it was bent so it wouldnt close to let the engine watm up...with a radiatior blockage it sounds like you probably need to replace that too if it was subjected to too much heat or they just go bad

Lifes tough...even tougher if you're stupid
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem with my zuke,needle wouldn't get past the bottom of the gauge even after 2-3 hours.also high fuel consumption and rough idle.Turned out to be a simple air-lock in the cooling system.Temp gauge now reads halfway after 10-20mins,choke is off in less than 5mins from cold.30-35mpg average.
Hope this helps.
What part of the uk are you in ? I'm in Bath

Sj413,215x15mt's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 05:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll check the cooling system for air locks on Sat, I've checked everything but the carb so far.

I'm in Maidenhead - perhaps I should sell by Samurai and buy a boat... There's some pretty serious flooding round here, so far I've driven through about 2.5 feet of water, but the police won't let me play in the floods anymore. Hopefully I'll find some nice deep water to really test it in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode