Engine knocking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine knocking

I just got Zooki fever and Got a couple of them but one isnt running and has become a donor vehicle...

I have an engine noise that sounds like a ticking valve lifter but someone else told me since its a small engine it may be piston slap I cant tell the diff...any suggestions? I adjusted the valves according to the haynes manual and then to the suzuki service manual (big difference!) but the noise is still there HELP!

Lifes tough...even tougher if you're stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 07:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Engine knocking

a ticking sound is normal, as long as it is not too loud

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Since you've properly adjusted the valves, try a compression test. That should tell you whats going on in the cylinder bore. The ticking could be something as simple as a timing adjustment. Maybe try a thicker weight oil. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have had a noise that confused me for a while,sounds like it comes from the bottom end but not loud enough to be a loose connecting rod.I dropped the pan took off the rod caps,learned how to use "plastiguage" and found out the rod bearing tolerance was fine.What I did find was the key to the problem.The connecting rod end play(measured with a feeler guage between the rod and crank in a forward backward direction)which should be about .004" to .009" was at .015 on cylinder #2.My solution was to remove the cap and"knurl"it by using a centerpunch on the side of the cap,(be careful not to deform the area where the bearing rests)go just high enough to clear that area.If you mic. the size of th cap width first it will help.Take a fine file and file the raised ring left by the punchmarks(lots of them in a row along the radius of the cap)The new width of the cap should be the starting size plus, in my case,.009"leaving you with the desired amount.It may take several trys to get it.This was actually cheap and easy to [email protected]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2000, 11:00 PM
Old Hand

If you still have the noise, and it sounds like it is not in the bottom end, more like from the piston area. I have found several things it could be.

1) Look for a missing screw that hold the rocker arm rods in place. They come loose and get stuck in the valve springs.

2) Bad or stuck piston wrist pin.

3) Cracked or broken piston, had one that ran great, and held all the rings on it, but 1/2 the piston was gone. But if you pulled the pan, and there wasn't any small parts in it, then you can rule the broken piston out, but not a cracked one.

Look for the worse, and pray for something cheep and small.
What ever you do, don't drive it till it blows! Please!

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com

"We make your Suzuki ZIP for less"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 11:51 AM

My friend had a light knock in his engine, the problem was there wasent enough engine oil! He filled it up and perfect. I had to change my engine because of a bad crank or somthing, i donno, it was knocking bad and even tho i replaced the bad rod bearings, it continued so i pulled a block out of a swift and works great. I still have a little knock and engine noise, i set the valve clearances according to the haynes manual (i know i should get a REAL manual :-) and it didnt go away, so once i get a timing ligh that works ill time it or mabe ill just play around with it by sound. I also had 3 of thoes tapered philips head screws come off, 2 were missing when i bought mysammy. One i found on the garage floor, i have no idea how it got there, and one i found all chewed up in the oil pan. a few months later i found one, upside down sitting on top of the thing where it screwes in.. weird.
Anton

87 Suzuki Samurai JX, Hybrid SPOA, expander shackles, removable doors, coustom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, fast back top, rear locker, 31's, clean interior.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2000, 08:14 PM

I have seen a few zookies with engines knocking... The most common cause I've seen is broken or cracked piston skirts. The crank is also a weak part in these engines I've actually repaired quite a few of them. They are soft and easily damaged by lack of maintenance.. You need to always keep the oil level up and changed regularly.. a tear down may be necessary but rebuilds are easy and straightforward. Also there are a quite a few companies with aftermarket rebuild kits at reasonable prices..
rodnee

Caught by the "ZOOKIE OBSESSION" bug. ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOKIE ZOOK.......
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2000, 05:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a Knocking noise before I rebuilt the engine, it wasn't present during Idling but because quite noticable under load, and it gradualy became worse. It turned out to be a broken piston skirt - take the sump off and look up at the underside of the pistons (wearing goggles!) and check the sump for bits of broken aluminium. It didn't affect the running of the engine at all, except for the noise. But it might eventually cause a lot of asymmetrical wear on the bore.

Scott.

The streets are quiet like a sleeping army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode