HTvsST??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

HTvsST???

I'm wondering if there are advantanges or not to having a soft top or a hard top other that the obvious,(top is easy to remove on a ST). I had a CJ-7 with a hard top and I liked it. Are the Sammi removeable hardtops hard to come by? That might be the best of both worlds? I appreciate your knowledgable/experienced responses. Thanks.
David Glasser

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 05:57 PM

Re: HTvsST???

i knew i wanted a st... added benefit (besides the obvios):

center of gravity is way lower on st (imagine the weight of roof-glass-reardoor)...

the st are reasonably waterproof... chances are you get water into the truck from the firewall and not the top... heard some bad comments on hardtops for softtops (expensive, poorly made, leaky.)

... but truth to be said... here in santiago are about 300 sunny days a year,

hope this helps,
Alfred

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 06:55 PM
zukiman

I was originally shopping for a softtop Samurai, but when I found this sweet hardtop version, I fell in love with it and bought it. That was in 1994, and I haven't regretted it since! Of course, my truck spends lots of time in rain and snow, so the benefits of the hardtop are obvious in terms of warmth and dryness. Plus, much better security (as long as I leave my doors on!) They're more unique, and I personally love the styling. The weight different is not that significant...the weight of stock Samis straight form the factory have only a 50-pound difference between hardtop and softtop.

--Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 07:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

one thing to think about is the amount of damage there would be to a HT as compared to a ST if you rolled it 4 wheeling

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 07:11 PM
mike shannon

if you are going to use it as a comuter and play toy i would go for a hard top. if it is used mainly as a trail rig, i prefer a soft top. but i live in tx. the hard tops are pretty cool but just don't give you that open air feel. i no if you pull the doors off they are all right, but still i like the soft top on the trail. i no that you get a lot more rain and snow than i do. you might better jump on that hard top you were talking about. and don't worry about it if you come across a cream puff soft top later on you can just make a spare one. i have that problem i just hate having just one. i think every zook addict should have at least two. later mike

88ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again guys, for all of the input. I guess that I'll have to have one of each at least Talk to you later.
David Glasser

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 09:25 PM
zukiman

I sure want one of each! But for now, I need one that's a jack of all trades. If I ever wind up with some money, I'd love to get a fiberglass body from NCO strictly for off-road use.

--Geoff Beasley

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 05:34 AM
Can't Get Enough

<font color=red>"It's a Jeep Thing...You wouldn't understand"</font color=red> -Part of the meaning of that expression is the joy of going topless and without doors. Well, the Samurai goes right along with that. So my only choice would be a soft top - to be removed as quickly and as often as possible. Once I found out how to remove the doors, well, that's all it took! It's all part of the experience.
<font color=red> It's a Zook Thing . . . You Wouldn't Understand! </font color=red> - but then again, maybe you do.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 08:22 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have a different slogan I'm putting on the windshield of the Scrambler, maybe the Zuki as well.

It says "<font color=red>It's a Jeep Thing...BUILD one and Understand!</font color=red>".

The same for the Zuki.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 10:59 AM
pugrocker

Go with a hardtop if you will be driving it in the rain and such. The soft top leaks, is noisy and replacing soft tops becomes expensive. I love my soft top but I wish that I had a hardtop. As a matter of fact, I just found a hardtop for sale that I might buy for my girlfriend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode