Cheap/Safe Lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Cheap/Safe Lift

Ok, I talked to the wife and here are the results:
I can either lift (5.5" Breeze SPOA, Z Link, etc..)
or get larger tires (probably 31x10.5) and an inexpensive lift. And then I can do the other later.
In contemplating my decision I came to the conclusion that a 5.5" lift with stock tires (205 70 R15) would look pretty silly [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. So 2 questions, how much lift would I need to get 31's underneath? And what is a safe/inexpensive way to get there (shackles, spring mount extensions, etc...)
Thanks guys,
Steve

"Ahhhh.... He wants to go off-road!!!!" -Ace Ventura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 02:16 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Cheap/Safe Lift

IMHO I'd get the lift now and a cheap set of 31's to throw on it to tide you over. Just lifting the Sami will do wonders, even off-road and with the stock tires. Besides, then you have to pay for 2 lifts, not one. Get some aftermarket used tires (235's woudl work ont he stock rims, as would 30's, but 31's would be a little large), I bought a set of used 31's up here for $75, nice ones, right Max? You just have to look around. Or maybe go retreads, they're very cheap and would tide you over. The wife's Zuki has a 5" S/R Calmini SUA, and you'd be hard pressed to wheel hard with 31's, they'd certainly rub at full flex, her 29" Swampers work well though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 03:18 PM

Go with the lift first, because it is unsafe to do it wrong and u can run a tire up to 31x10.5 on stock rims, many ppl do it here no problem and it doesent even look that bad. my friend runs bald 235's and works good, doesnt look bad, isnt tippy etc.. he has 2" shackles also
Anton

87 Suzuki Samurai JX, Hybrid SPOA, expander shackles, removable doors, coustom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, fast back top, rear locker, 31's, clean interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 06:04 PM

i agree with whats been said...

do it by the book... dont cheat... get a good spoa lift... and some used 235/30/or31"

i'd rather run w/ stock tires and look ridiculous but know that i made a step in the right decision than try to compromise so something that you WILL regret in a year.

hope this helps
alfred

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2000, 06:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i did a 2.5" body lift using 1/8" wall square tubing and fit 31x9.5s under it. i only had to trim my bumper mount down so it wouldn't hit.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 01:10 AM
Loweguy

If you need to go cheap on tires...

I was at Sams Club yesterday and spied some AGRESSIVE tires made by Pacemark (a Goodyear parented company). They are marketed as snow tires, but honestly they have a very very agressive mud-type tread. Anyway, they have a TON of 235s in stock for only $59. That is WAY cheaper than you could buy 31s. Don't forget that a 235 is almost a 29" tall tire...whereas the 205 is a 26" tires. That will be a MAJOR help.

I also agree about looking for used tires...but I'll tell you I've been looking for 31's up here for my Zuki for 2 mos straight with no luck-until tonight. I'm not sharing the details until I have them in hand, but I got a GREAT deal on some used 31's on wheels (set of 5).

Good luck!

Michael O

-01 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
-88 Samurai, soon to have 2" Sky body lift, spring over, and 31s
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 04:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I got 30" retreads for about $39 apiece which are great but dont have their URL offhand, Wildweasel might

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 05:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

First off can you weld? if not it is going to add to the cost of spoa some. there are bolt on's too but don't know how good they are.
Tires- High tec retreads is the place I got my 31's from, they are on michinlin cores and have held up well
and work great off road too. I went with the mud terrian they cost 260.00 with shipping for 4 tires.
When I go up to 33's this winter I am getting tires from the same place they work that well. I do quite a bit
of rock crawling (Granite) and mud etc. They are advertised in the back of magizines often.

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

ok, sounds like the lift is the way to go.
wildweasel,
I don't personally weld, but my next door neighbor does and he is going to help me out with the lift. I was planning on going with the 5.5 breeze kit from ncoffroad. and then, of course, getting brake line extension, and a z-link.
I'm gonna try to find the URL for High Tec Retreads, but I think my wife is still gonna make me wait awhile. unfortunately my zuk has brand new tires on it, so I can't use that as an excuse. gotta love her!! Anyway, thanks again for the tips guys.
Steve

"Ahhhh.... He wants to go off-road!!!!" -Ace Ventura
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2000, 12:44 PM

I measured a 31x10.5 cooper discoverer inflated, not aired down and it measures like less than 30" tall. More like 29. So get 235's and itll be cool.
Anton

87 Suzuki Samurai JX, Hybrid SPOA, expander shackles, removable doors, coustom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, fast back top, rear locker, 31's, clean interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode