Clayton, Ok Trails closed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Clayton, Ok Trails closed

I was told by a fellow club member yesterday that Georgia Pacific has closed access to trails on their land in Clayton, Oklahoma. We are having a club meeting tonight to go over details of the land closure. The land that is in question holds such trails as the famous 3 stage, rock creek, timberline, lower powerline, upperpowerline, snake pit, and a couple of others. If you are familiar with Clayton, you know that that is almost all of the trails there. I was up at Clayton on labor day and on hurd creek trail the road was dug out. It looked like they were installing drainage. from talking to our club president he said that Georgia Pacific said they were the ones that dig the trench to keep traffic out of the area. I will post more information as I get it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 03:35 PM

Re: Clayton, Ok Trails closed

Already trickling in your area too?We have clubs fighting over here also about land.I hope yall have more luck than we do over here in GA.Ive seen land slighty diminish over time.Dont know if its greenie actions or what but its disappearing

Criminals prefer unarmed victims!Al Gore wants your firearms!Defend 2nd Ammendment
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

We lost land a few years ago to what is refered to as the Honobia wildlife refuge. We crossed areas of a dry creek that they deemed as a runoff. We also had deer hunters lease all the land near the top of three stage and 4x4 hill. As it is now we have only two trails left and you have to have a permit to run on that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 03:39 PM
mike shannon

where did you pick up the info. we were planning to go to clayton this weekend.please tell me what you find out,thanks mike.

88ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Mike, I am a member of the fortworth dallas fourwheel drive club. We have several contacts in the clayton area. We host two very large runs every year. Goeogia Pacific called our president Ron Harris and they told him directly. So, there is no second hand information here. I will know more after our meeting tonight. You are welcome to attend. We are having a dinner meeting tonight @ 7:30 pm at Cafe Mexico in Richardson.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 09:25 AM
mike shannon

any one else heard any thing new on this,i was planning to go this weekend.thanks mike.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Not a lot of new information from the meeting last night. Georgia Pacific is preparing to sale the property and they want all people off. This is understandable. They own four thousand acres which happens to hold a majority of the trails we run on. They want 300.00 an acre. So, if you got 1.2 million go buy it. We have contacted the mayor of Clayton and she is working with her congressman and senators. They will try to persuade Georgia Pacific to keep these trails open. Bottom line is you can't be mad at Georgia Pacific about this. They are the owners and a business. They have to base their decision on their company needs not ours. We are suppose to learn more on the outcome of Clayton by Monday.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well Marc is trailfest cancelled? I have working furiously to get my rig finished by then

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:36 AM
mike shannon

just got off the phone to the people at sams off road they said that the loss of the g.p. trails are not that bad. they said the are going to run the trails north of town and there are plenty of them. he told me that they have 200 rigs singed up all ready and there was no way they are going to cancell the run this weekend.thats the latest news that i have got.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

It looks like it will be. It all depends on what happens this week. There was discussion about that last night. It would be possible to relocate and have the SWFWDA at Gilmer. That is the newly purchased land by the TMTC.
FWD-FWD will decide this weekend and post information on the web site www.fwd-fwd.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode