Engine Shutting off - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine Shutting off

Aye ya'll, maybe you can help me out.
My 91 sammy is EFI, and it has been sputtering and doing strange things lately.
When I rev the motor up (acellerating) and i hit a certain RPMS it begins to click (the ECU, under right hand dash), engine sputters and the electrical system flickers on and off. The engine doesn't turn off, but it is like it dies for a split second and is on again. This also happens when I hit about 50 miles an hour. I have to drive it under that or not rev the engine up too high for this not to happen. Anyone have any ideas?
I have just replaced the spark plugs and cables last night, hoping maybeit would do something (they needed to be replaced anyway), and sure my motor runs a hell of a lot better, but it still does the dying thing.
Is it a feul problem?
Also, there is a ground wire going to the electronic ignition moutning bracket under the hood. It is bolted on to the bracket and it is a dark color like black. It is kinda burnt through, does anyone knwo what this is for?

-Mike

Cellular- 707-318-6503
1991 Suzuki Samarai
1995 Jeep Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 03:39 PM

Re: Engine Shutting off

Is it your coil ground?Anything burnt needs replacing anyway[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Criminals prefer unarmed victims!Al Gore wants your firearms!Defend 2nd Ammendment
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 03:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It does not seem to be the coil ground because it goes back into the shrink wrapped wiring harness that runs along the firewall. I can follow it without rippig the whole damn thing to shreds. Got any other ideas what could be causing the problem? Someone said it could have something to do with my fuelpump or fuel filter, that the engine might not be getting enough fuel. . . could that be it?
How do I check that?
-Mike

1991 Suzuki Samurai
1995 Jeep Cherokee
1984 Toyota Pickup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 04:11 PM

Definitly could be that.Im not real experienced with FI,but yea check your fuel pump pretty easy but check your manual,its step by step.I know on carb models you take the hose that goes into the carb off,then turn the engine over.If you have steady streams of gas coming out,its working.If it just trickles,pumps bad.But it might not work like that on FI.

Criminals prefer unarmed victims!Al Gore wants your firearms!Defend 2nd Ammendment
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 05:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My 90 is fuel injected and it did the same thing. Check the alternator cables, the alternator itself and ALL electrical connections. My problem was caused from the reverse light switch on the tranny. The 2 wires were touching the body or the transmission. Ya, i know it sounds stupid but when i unhooked the harness to them on the firewall the problem went away.

If you have any other questions about the FI let me know.

Oh ya, after flipping 3 times to the right hand side, endoeing once and ending up laying on the drivers side it was still running. Aint never seen a carb'd engine do that.

WIll

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode