Posi vs. locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Posi vs. locker

Will some one explain the difference, pro/con of a limited slip and a locker? Most of my driving is on the road. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 10:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Posi vs. locker

hi farther,if most of your riding is on the road ,do the posi in the rear.if you think you would want to trail,then do a locker in the rear.if you get infected with zookitis,locker in the rear and posi in the front.if you lose your mind like i did ,then locker front and rear.the lockers act funny while driving them.if you do not pay attention you will wreck.posi is much more forgiving.RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 07:01 AM
Can't Get Enough

Farther,
A limited slip will do just that: allow for a little slipping of the axle, which is helpful for street driving as you go around corners. A full locker actually locks the rear axle so that both tires are rotating the same amount regardless of turning radius or having a lifted tire. This gives the best traction. I had a full locker in my old Jeep and drove to work every day. Once you get used to the feel of a locker, it's ok. Now, I've had my Sami for just over a month, and I plan on getting a locker for it too, but I don't know how it will react in comparison, being shorter and narrower than the Jeep.
For trail riding, lockers are great! Once you have them, you won't want to live without them. Heck, I have to learn to drive all over again. :-)
Hope that helps....
Zukin'

Scott
1988 Samurai, 5.5" soa
http://Scott_CJ8.tripod.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 12:12 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Posi's are street forgiving and moderately trail friendly.

Lockers are not street friendly but are awesome off-road.

A locker will change the handling characteristics of the Sami. Under acceleration it'll pull up and to the right, under deceleration it'll want to torque left and down. You have to compensate for this when driving. They're not hard to get used to, but are shocking when first driven. They also suck on the snow/ice at even moderate speeds. This is because the rear axle is usually (under power) locked, requiring both sides to turn the same. They just take some getting used to, a LSD (posi) can also be hairy in the snow, but not nearly as bad unless you're playing around.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 03:40 PM
pugrocker

I put a limited slip in the rear - and a locker in the front so I could drive it on the road without the hassles. Since this is a new set-up, I have not driven it in the snow yet, so I can not give you any input on how it will handle in the snow. I have heard all different views on lockers in the snow so I will just have to "try it out" and find out by myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode