Oil Leak...needing help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oil Leak...needing help

Hey everyone...I've developed a minor oil leak and would like some advice as to where to start looking. I can't see where it is coming from, but find 5-6 drops underneath after parking. It's an 86 Sammy, and used for my daily drive right now. I have plans for making mods, but it's purely stock right now. I just picked it up a few days ago, 45K original miles.
Where should I start looking? It appears the leak is from the front part of the engine (1.3L) and again, doesn't appear to be very major. Just more of an annoyance for putting drops on my driveway and others. And of course, I want to make sure I don't cause a bigger problem!
Any and all advice would help. Thanks.

What's a computer geek doing with a Sammy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 01:23 PM
WSB

Re: Oil Leak...needing help

Start by checking the valve cover and the distributor.
The distributor has a o-ring that is a common source
of oil leaks on the 1.3 liter.

Wayne

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 01:30 PM

Check the oil pan plug to see if it is leaking there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it helps, here's a photo to show the affected area...

What's a computer geek doing with a Sammy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-221151-oilleak.jpg (22.3 KB, 6 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 02:12 PM

i always tell people after checking oil pan & valve cover
check around the timing cover area-then and most common i
think is the fuel pump-look on your clutch cable adjuster
when sammi pumps start to go bad the leak oil out the xtra
tube on the pump.

88 spoa samurai
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 02:14 PM
Old Hand

That looks exactly how mine looked when my front main crankshaft seal wore out. could possibly br the oil pan gasket also. It's one or the other. (maybe both) The pan gasket is very easy to change but the front main takes a little more work.

ZUK ON !!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 03:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Is there a pan gasket available now? For a while you had to use form-a-gasket type stuff. Jim
http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep....got a pan gasket today at Advance Auto, 'cause I've got the same thing. Fel-pro, thin cork, $6.

'88.5 hrdtop, 29's on 15x8's, want small lift + big exhaust.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 09:34 AM
Can't Get Enough

My brother's leaks in the same location and we determined it was likely to be the front seal after replacing the oil pan gasket didn't stop it completely. He uses his mostly for playing in the woods and just checks his oil level occasionally to keep it from running low. Getting to the front seal looked like a real pain and he didn't want to bother with it right now.

88.5 Samurai Hardtop
87 Samurai Convertible
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you think the front crank seal or front cam seal is leaking you should pull the cam belt cover and check for oil inside .
Oil on cam belt greatly shortens cam belt life so any oil inside cam belt cover has to be stopped and cam belt changed. .

If you are going to change the front cam seal. Buy a maintenance manual for your Sami. If it is a Haynes manual some steps
are wrong as how to hold the cam while removing cam pulley retaining nut.
With timeing belt cover off,
check that the cam is proper timed with the crank. Haynes manual shows the timing marks aligned for number one cylinder at
TDC ready for spark ignition wrong for my sami. My cam is 180 degree out from illustrated position when #1 cylinder is ready
to fire with both valves closed. Note how your cam and crank marks are aligned with distributor rotor pointing at #1 cylinder's spark
plug wire. Mark position rotor is pointing and timing adjustment of distributor with pencil.

Then remove the valve cover and rotate the engine until you see a hole in cam about 1/4 way back that you can insert screw
driver to keep cam from turning. Using marking pen, put timing marks on cam sprocket and crank sprocket that align with
center of engine for that crank position. Remove cam belt as stated in your maintenance manual. Hold cam with screw driver while
removing cam sprocket. Pry out old cam seal being careful not to scratch sealing surface on cam. Grease center sealing
surface of cam seal then install seal over end of cam flush into head.

Installing the front crank seal can be tricky because the crank is stepped. I use a 1" nominal diameter PVC pipe about 4" long.
Grease sealing lip of seal then install on the pipe then position seal on crank, remove plastic pipe. Check that sealing lip of seal
is properly on end of crank. Install front crank seal into oil pump with hammer. Check sealing lip didn't bend over going onto
crank.

Check that your marking pen timing marks are properly aligned and install timing belt as shown in maintenance manual.
Rotate engine so manufactures cam and crank pulley timing marks are aligned. Check timing.

Finish assembling parts onto engine.

After you start engine check timing with timing light. If you have to adjust timing from what it was before changing timing belt
then you might of changed cam timing. I count cogs on timing belt between felt marking pen marks on each timing belt sprocket
before and after changing timing belt to prevent cam timing changes .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode