Injected or Carbureted engine? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Injected or Carbureted engine?

I noticed a lot of people are running the carb'd engine versus the injected. Is this because they're cheap, more plentiful, or there are more mods for it? We're looking into buying one, and I'm thinking injected due to the off-camber ability. Is there a reason not to look for one or should I stick with a later 80's Sami?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 09:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Injected or Carbureted engine?

The main reason there is more carbs is thay sold more before the FI change, which was 90 I think. By then the Consumer Reports thingy scared all the buyers away. Hell, when I bought my '94 I had to order it special and wait over a month to get it. So much for the test drive.

If you can find one, go fuely. Check the board and you'll see all the troubles folks have with carbs and swaps.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 10:09 AM
pugrocker

GET A FUEL INJECTED SAMURAI!!! I have a 1988-1/2 with a 1.6L Sidekick motor (carbed) and have added a Weber and it has been a total nightmare to tune, get good mpgs, and a whole truckload of other problems including the fact that the stock carb is a pretty bad unit to start off with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 10:19 AM
mike shannon

i would just as soon get one with a carb. i have had mine at all kinds of angles and it has never caused a problem. mater of fact i have had people comment on how well it works off road. mine is still stock so it might not be a bad idea to leave the carb alone if it is working. but i do have plenty of gear to make up for the lack of power. later mike.

88ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 86, originally carbed I ran it for 1 year with stock carb, junk, then went to a Weber setup, and gained power but loads of headaches tuning and maintaining, finally went to FI on the installed 1.6, AWSOME no more stalling, tuning,or altitdude problems. I also have a 95 I'm in the proccess of building. starting with FI is a plus but if you can't find one then converting is'nt out of the question.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 12:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

FI is nice but if you get a carbed one that runs good, it is sweet too. That said make sure to buy one that is running
right to begin with. otherwise you will have a hell of a time figuring out the active jetting (Computer controlled) carb
if something is screwed up with your wiring harness. (That and evan the rebuilt carb I bought was bad, warrenty
replaced it , My spare one is running great so to say the least I am not going to mess with it.) We are going to have some Pony carbs on the zook'in run so we wil get to see how they work out too.

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 03:09 PM
Addict

I am switching to FI with the 1.6 engine swap I am doing. I currently run a weber and it runs great until you try to idle on an incline then it dies. Seems most the video footage I have is of me trying to start my sammi before I roll down the hill

Lonny - Redmond, WA
87' Stomper, SOA, Missing Links, Z-bar Eliminator, 5.125RP, 4.16TC, lockers, bead locks and 33" Boggers
www.mystomper.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 08:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

One reason for Injection.

I flipped my samuri 3 times and endoed it once, when it was all over with it was layin on its side in second gear spinnin the rear tires. I have NEVER seen a carb'd motor do that.

Oh ya, we flipped the sami back over and drove it home. Im still drivin it almost a year later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode