What Zuki to look for? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

What Zuki to look for?

OK, so I'm a big jeep fan (and I mean BIG jeep), but after helping Max move, and driving one of those little Zuki's, I found myself wanting one. OK, to convince the wife I had to tell her I'd get it for her. So this is what I'm looking for and want to do with it. If you guys can help me out with a year/model/options I'd appreciate it. I know a fair amount about jeeps, but nothing about Zuki's.

...I'm looking for a fold down windshield, soft top, and I'll weld in a full cage.
...We plan on wheeling it, so it won't be a daily driver. It will, however, need to get to and from the trails, so it'll need to be street legal. It'll also need to traverse the highway to Max's house (250 miles).
...SOA's are illegal in Maine, so it must be SUA, but I need lift to clear tires. What suspension to achieve flex?
...What size tires do you guys recommend?
...I have fabricating abilities, so stretched frames, other axles, swapped drivetrains are no problems.
...Money is a factor, so I have to do it cheap, and probably in stages, but what direction should I head?
...I understand the weight factor, my jeep will weigh over 4,000 pounds, but this I'll want to keep light. What engine is recommended?

I know these are some pretty involved questions, and the responses can get lengthy. One of the reasons for chosing a Zuki was due to the information on this BBS, it's as lively as the SWB board, which is a huge help. I've been picking Max's brain (not much there [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]), but am looking for other experiences and options. Thanks in advance for the help.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 10:04 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: What Zuki to look for?

JEEPN,
Ditto on all you said. I've gone from my Scrambler to a Samurai. I miss my CJ8, but love the Sami too! Wish I could have both.
1. Look for a '90+ Sami as it would have factory fuel injection. Other than that, body parts (except dash) are interchangeable.
2. You can get a large enough lift to install 32's without going soa - See Calmini, Petroworks, Rocky Road Outfitters for sources.
3. The sky's the limit if you plan on fabricating or creating a monster. Have fun!
4. Samurai's weight just over 2000 lbs stock. And are designed for smaller tires, so if you add larger meats and lots of armor, the suspension and axles and joints will have to be beefed up.
After modifying my Scrambler I've found that the Suzukis are a bit less expensive to build up. I have 32's with a soa lift and that seems like plenty of clearance and lift to me for what type of wheelin I do. I plan on a rear locker and gears in the near future. I've had my '88 Zuke for just over a month now and have seen and learned alot. This board is great, as is the SWB Jeep board. Hey, maybe we should start a Zuky wave, nah...:-)

Scott
1988 Samurai, 5.5" soa
http://Scott_CJ8.tripod.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 10:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'll probably take a bit of heat for this one.

If you can't SpOA, then you probably can't buggy leaf, 1/4 eliptic or go coily. Can you shackel reverse? If so, I have gotten good results from the Calmini 5" Combo. It will handle 31's and with 2" of body lift (can you do that?) you can shove on 32's or 33's. However, the 5" combo is a little pricey. Someone is selling a used kit on the board.

Other than that, you only got lifted springs. With 2" longer shackles, it'll give you 4", enuff to handle 30's to 31's. But longer shackles screw up your caster angles.

Fold-down? Hawk's got'em for 80 clams

I recommend the 1.6 Sidekick motor if your gonna swap. As light as the 1.3, kits are cheap and easy. Best of all it stays Suzuki. But up can work the 1.3 for a few bucks and really boost it's HP.

Motor is one of the things you really don't need to do first. Get your lift and gearing done before the tires. Want cheap tires? Go recap mudders. Recent write up in this months Petersen's.

Was that any help?

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 10:31 AM

Hey Jeepn' here's something for you to think about:

You said that spring-over's are illegal in Maine? Well, lots of trucks come Factory with springs-over-the-axles suspensions: Toyota pickups & Ford Super Duty's to name a couple. How Exactly do they determine what is legal & what is not?

OILBURNER [email protected]
1988.5 Samurai, 1.9L VW Diesel, GRS II, Toyota axles w/ 'locked High-Pinion Diff's.,
35" BFG M/T's, and Lotsa custom goodies too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 11:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I might be selling my Calmini 5" S/R. I decided to go with SPOA and missing links about a year ago. It was a good lift, just wanted more. Let me know if you might be interested. I will be at Zookin 2K and maybe Max can pick it up there (it was EXPENSIVE to ship!)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

OILBURNER:

Yes, that's being debated now among the cops and the inspectors (garages). I might be able to get it to slide by going SOA with SOA springs. Funny thing, I had to move the spring perches on the Scrambler to get the Scout II axles to fit, and nobody had a problem with that. I even moved the front springs outside the frame and that was OK too, go figure.

The engine will probably be the last to get swapped, I'm running a GM151 (2.5L) 4 cylinder now and love it's ability to crawl, not a lot of power in the mud, but fine for me.

So there were no Zuki's that came factory with a fold down windshield?

BTW, what is GRS I and GRS II?

I like the idea of a divorced transfer, that opens all sorts of possibilities.

YANKEE TIM:
Yes, lots, thanks. It's pretty much the way I started with the Scrambler, then my tranny went and I just swapped everything out. I have a lot of Jeep tires and rims, a few Scout ones as well, so I have plenty of tires, but Max just moved right across from a custom re-treading place.

Does the FI motor put out a more noticeable amount of power than its carb counterpart?

ZOOKY:

I'd love to, but I have to actually find, then buy a Zuki first. I'd love to check out more of the rigs, never crawled around under one except Max's.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

OK, a few more questions. I didn't want to put them in the previous post as I didn't want it to get long-winded. Knowing very little about them, I'd like to get a little info:

What does the stock Zuki weigh? I know around 2,000 pounds, but does anyone have a closer figure? Assuming soft top model.

What is the wheelbase length and width?

What does the stock tranny have for gearing in the forward gears?

What does the transfer have stock and what's available?

What gearing do the axles have stock?

About how much torque and horsepower does the 1.3 have and what can it reasonably be built to? How about the 1.6?

Any other meaningful swap ideas? I know ML's and SOA's, but what else is worthwhile?

Max has mentioned 2 different models, one is the SJ410(?) SJ413(?), what are the differences between them and other models?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 12:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

SJ413 (Samurai) = dime a dozen
SJ410 (pre-Samurai) = hard to find

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 12:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

Jeepn,
What does the stock Zuki weigh? 2094 lbs

What is the wheelbase length and width? 79.9 inches wheelbase, 135 inch body length, 60.2 inch body width, 65.5 body height

What does the stock tranny have for gearing in the forward gears? 1st- 3.652, 2nd- 1.947, 3rd- 1.423, 4th- 1.0, 5th- .795, reverse- 3.466

What does the transfer have stock and what's available? low(4wd) - 2.268, high - 1.409

What gearing do the axles have stock? 373:1

About how much horsepower does the 1.3 have? 60 hp @ 6500rpm Don't know about the 1.6

Also, much better mpg - even in 4wd! rated: 23 city, 25 highway. Some do better.

Scott
1988 Samurai, 5.5" soa
http://Scott_CJ8.tripod.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 01:31 PM

Go to the http://www.off-road.com/suzuki site & most of the statistical info/trivia you're seeking is all there.

Concerning the GRS I & II : The Samurai has a gear-driven transfer case, which is reduced in 2WD as well as 4WD. There are two popular transfer case gear combinations out there to lower your tcase gears instead of/in addition to the axle gears (just like the Terra-Low kits, Etc. for Jeeps). The "GRS" notation actually was coined by Petroworks, meaning Gear Reduction System. They were among the first to go public with the GRS I- type gear set, originally made from several year's Suzuki tcase gears modified to yield a 12% lower 2WD ratio, and lower the 4x4 to a whopping 4.16:1. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Then Petroworks 1-upped the competition by creating the GRS II (which is manufactured Only by them) It's ratio's are: 18% lower 2Wd, and 4.89:1 Low. Both gear types are available as kits that you can install yourself.

Back to the SPOA situation: Have you ever seen a Samurai with a basic Spring-Over & 31x10.50's? It looks like it could have come stock that way. I'd wager that if you didn't go too big on the tires (at least for the inspection) you could pass it as stock. I'm sure there are several guys who could send some pictures for you to consider. Reason I would like you to explore this avenue is that the SPOA very fabricator-friendly if you know what I mean. You can save That money for other goodies....

OILBURNER [email protected]
1988.5 Samurai, 1.9L VW Diesel, GRS II, Toyota axles w/ 'locked High-Pinion Diff's.,
35" BFG M/T's, and Lotsa custom goodies too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode