Stupid Question??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Stupid Question???

I have something to ask about a missing link suspension system. Instead of having to add several inches to the front of you frame, wouldn't it be easier to do a shackle reversal and put the missing link shackles in the center of your Samurai instead of up front? It seems like the missing link would work either way, mounted on the leading spring eye or the trailing one. Would this make the cons of a shackle reversal worse? Has anyone tried this or is this a stupid question?

Wife thinks I bought a Samurai because it's good on gas. She doesn't know is I am secretly building a Tiny Giant Killer! Now how do I hide the 33" Swampers and do a SPOA next time she goes shopping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stupid Question???

when doing a missing link in the front you use rear sami springs which are longer than the stock fronts. intern this moves not only the forward mount out further but the front axle assy forward too (about 1 to 1 1/2 inches) . if you reversed this and put the missing links in the rear without lengthening the frame and moving the mounts forward, your axle would be moved back the 1 to 1 1/2 inches. this would cause big problems with tire contact to the fenders.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 09:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Stupid Question???

I've been considering doing something like that myself. I already have an extra 4+" of shock travel (thanks to Ford shock towers) that I'm not using to its full potential. I've seen than a lot of rigs in the Rockcrawling championships use S/R, with some contenders using a M/L type set-up on the trailing eyes of the front springs. It's working for them, so why not me?

I don't think M/L's themselves would work/fit. But I don't think it would be real hard to make some up. I was thinking of something following the Revolver concept to avoid twisting the spring eyes.

What do you think?

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode