Overall Noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Overall Noise

Went to the TN-FLA game yesterday and my ears are still ringing. The ride home wasn't much better from a noise standpoint. Have had the Sam about 6 weeks and want to reduce internal noise. I put 1/4" rubber on top of the stock body mounts and that helped a little. I know I need a quieter muffler, just running a catalytic converter off a jeep for now. This is a hrdtop, and noise reverberates inside. Found some info on sound-deadening aircraft on the web and found where to order the closed cell foam out of CA. But it sounds expensive.
I feel a lot of vibration from the engine and maybe need to consider updating the engine mounts!!??

Anybody tackled this subject and had good results?

'preciate it!

'88.5 hrdtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 11:30 AM

Re: Overall Noise

There is a furnace duct insulation that is available that may work. I also have a hardtop and am going to remove the trim panels from the inside the doors and rear seating and install the self adhesive foil/closed cell insulation that comes in different size widths. I think it will help with the sound and cooling/heating of the hardtop. I imagine that the space behind the trim panels acts as a sound box for any noise that gets there. I just replace my stock exhaust system with a thorley, 2" cat and a 2" Magnaflow straight thru muffler. The sound is a lot louder than stock, but it sound real good. Adding rubber to the body mounts sounds like a good idea. Maybe I could fashion a 1/2 inch body lift made of rubber or better yet urethane? Anybody got advise on homemade body lifts, problems/solutions?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 12:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I heard that you can swap the upper and lower body mounts and gain about 3/4" body lift, never tried it myself so I dont know for sure

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 02:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CAR AUDIO SHOPS>>>>>>>sound dediner
GOOD EXCUSE FOR GETTING A REAL SPRAY IN BED LINER

Supper Sammi
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

for long road trips i'd use foam ear plugs. i've had the ringing too from long trips in my 89 kick convertible.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

look up The Eastwood Co. on the web they have outomotive sound deadening insulation for all applications. You may have to order their catalog to find the insulation but it is free so no biggee. hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode