stock gearing/tire combination - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

stock gearing/tire combination

I realize that this subject has been beat to death in terms of off-roading. My questions is since 99% of my driving is on-road, what is the largest wheel/tire combination I can go with and not hurt my on-road drivability? For point of reference, I have built my own aluminum front bumper, which should cure any clearance problem there, but the suspention and gearing is stock. I would appreciate the list sharing their experience with different tire/wheel combinations and on-road performance relative to power and mpg. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: stock gearing/tire combination

I just put on 235's (same as 29's) on 15x8 wheels to replace stock 205/70/15 (on those 15x8's). Had to trim bumper AND bumper support. Also mover bumper forward. Seeing a little loss of power going uphill but it's not annoying. I love the longer time between shifts.

Remember to divide the new tire diameter by 26.3 inches (stock) and mutiply that by the MPH showing on your speedometer to know how fast you are really going. (EX. 29/26.3*60=66.2) Do the same to your odometer mileage when figuring MPG. (Ex. 29/26.3*200/7.5 gal = 29.4 MPG) That's about what I'm getting after one (partial) check. My engine was replaced but am pretty sure it's all stock.

I would probably rub something with suspension extension or compression. So want a small lift. I have some wandering at highway speeds. Probably have a loose member.

'88.5 hrdtop, 29's on 15x8's, want small lift + big exhaust.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise. I moved the bumper bracket 5" inboard on both sides when installing my aluminum bumper. In addition I ran a 1.25" black pipe through the front frame tube before welding a new 3/8" mounting plate on the end. I was fortunate enough to find 1/4" aluminum mounting brackets in the recycling pile of a local trailer manufacturer that worked great when mounting the new bumper. I cut out holes to mount the turn signal, but then I ended up mounting the turn signals behind the grill with mounting tabs I fashioned out of pipe hanger. Now I have to find a new location for the homemade fresh air ram scoop for the air cleaner.

Owning a Samurai is like having a part-time job where you pay for the privilege of working.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2000, 11:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The best combo for stock gears is 235/75/15. Their are a couple of guys in my club that run (and i did it myself for a while) 31/10.50/15s and they will work as well. The only down side of that is the direct head winds will force you to use 4th, but it is a smoother ride. Without gears the larger tire will be alot harder on your clutch as well.

Manitoba Trail Masters
Brent Steliga
86 Samauri,4:57s,Lockrights at both ends,Hedman header.31s,spring over,high flex leafs.10,000lb home made hyd winch and long travel shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode