Great Tool Deals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Great Tool Deals

I've noticed quite a few of the people here on the Suzuki board do a lot of their own modifications and thought I would share a place I buy some of my shop tools. I drag race and do a lot of my own fabrication on my two cars. I have bought quite of few tools from Habor Freight Tools. www.harborfreight.com A lot of thier tools are the same brand name tools you can buy elsewhere just cheaper. I have two Dewalt 4-1/2" grinders and one day while ordering I saw they had a 4" grinder on sale for $14.99. I had never bought any of their electric tools and thought, what the hell, $15 is not much, I'll try it out. Well, I have used this grinder for over 2 years not and it is still holding up next to my two $89 Dewalts. Only problem is it does not have a dead man switch. Meaning if you drop the grinder or it kicks back and flys out of your hands it will still be running. You just have to use a little more caution and think about what you are doing first. I have also bought my tubing bender, tubing notcher, grinding wheels, and air tools there too. Have not had any problems with any of the tools I have bought from them yet. Here are a couple of more deals they have:

14" Cut-off Saw - Reduced to $89.99 15 amp motor. (might want to buy a little bit bigger for cutting roll cage tubing) Item number: 35994-7VGA

Hydraulic Pipe Bender (12 ton) - $74.99 Bend 6 different pipes from 1/2" to 2" diameter. Item number: 32888-5VGA (I have used this to make roll cages and tube bumpers using 1-1/4" schedule 40 pipe (1-5/8" OD) It does not flatten the pipe on the bends at all.)

4" Heavy Duty Disc Grinder - $19.99 Item number: 1711-4VGA

Wife thinks I bought a Samurai because it's good on gas. She doesn't know is I am secretly building a Tiny Giant Killer! Now how do I hide the 33" Swampers and do a SPOA next time she goes shopping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 06:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Great Tool Deals

thanks for the info zoomy4.i need some tools for my wifes garage.i think she will buy that.

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 06:51 PM

how does the pipe bender do on 2" OD .120 tubing?
Id love to find one of those cheapre ones that works well, but most folks say they dont. just looking for more opinions.

ive orded lots of stuff from Harbor freight, there stuff ranges from not worth unpacking to brand name, you just have to have a feel for the quality stuff!

i love the $39 HVLP gravity feed paint gun i got on sale there!
its $149 at all fo the local paint stores, for the exact same gun

OzarkJeep

"I cant wait on a compromise, Id rather loose on my own."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey what brand is that gun the hvlp???
i am a body man and that i got my base coat and finsh gun (clear coat) i am needing a primer gun...
mine are Devillbis Finish line series
just curious

Supper Sammi
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I ordered a no name HVLP Gravity feed gun from them for about $50 and have had good luck with it. My friend has a $250 Binks and you can't tell the difference. I shoot only single stage Centari and getting ready to shoot my first Imron paint job. I hear the Imron is some caustic stuff. Usually shoot Centari with just a dust mask, I guess it's time to get out the hood and 3M mask.

Wife thinks I bought a Samurai because it's good on gas. She doesn't know is I am secretly building a Tiny Giant Killer! Now how do I hide the 33" Swampers and do a SPOA next time she goes shopping?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Here are some pictures of the latest cage I built using 1-1/4" ID schedule 40 welded pipe, which is basically 1-5/8 OD and meets NHRA specs for building a mild steel cage. I used the $79 pipe bender with the 1-1/4 manderel and had absolutely no collapse in the bends and no ripples (like a exhaust bend). I built a full race chassis using this same bender and pipe and my chassis is NHRA certified. The wall thickness on that size mild steel for NHRA has to be .118 and this is around .128. This car will have to be certified by NHRA too, for it will be running faster then 9.90 in the 1/4 and around 150mph. If it is safe enough for that it should be plenty ample for rock crawling. Just have to make sure you are getting plenty of penetration when you weld.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-214743-Cage01.jpg (68.4 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

By the way, want to see what makes a VW air-cooled four cylinder run in the 9's? Well the fact that the car is only going to weigh about 1000lbs really helps, but it is the good old Weber sidedraft DCOE. This one is a 50mm. I have a 62mm Weber but it is a little too big for this application. The turbo is a 70:1 Rajay pull through set-up. With this set-up on a moderatly bored and stroked VW engine (stock is 69mm stoke x 85.5mm bore/ this one's a 78mm x 94mm) making about 200hp you can get a good 300-350hp.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-214750-Turbo03.jpg (45.1 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Heres a closer picture of the carb.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-214752-Turbo02.jpg (44.9 KB, 0 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 12:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was wondering about that bender, so this pretty much answers my question.
I bought the metal bender from them a while back and it works great also. The instructions however sucked big time and they faxed me complete ones they had made up. 25 pages versus like 4......

ThX for taking the time to let us know....

DannyL

Just remember for every mile on the
road of life there's two miles of ditch.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

One thing to do when using the bender is to use the farthest roller positions on each side, away from the manderel. If you use the close ones you will put a dimple on each side of the bend on the outside. There is less pressure forced on the pipe by the rollers by using the outer positions due to the extra leverage you gain. Buy a section of pipe and experiment, you will quickly find little tricks to make it work better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode