Fuel,.. To inject or not to inject? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Fuel,.. To inject or not to inject?

I was wondering if any of you have any opinions about a fuel injected sammy or a carb sammy. Im looking to buy and im curious to see which is better.
-thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 05:00 PM

Re: Fuel,.. To inject or not to inject?

I am curious about that as well. I just replyed so that I could get an email when someone that knows says something on this subject.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 05:13 PM

Im not biased,but I do choose carb because I think the upkeep is easier.Troubleshooting seems to be better as well.If my carb screws up,I know that I can fix it.If my FI gives me problems,more than likely Ill have to take it to the shop.Just my opinion,others may herald the FI,but I have one of each.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 05:23 PM

If you're planning on keeping your engine stock, fuel injection is the way to fly. It's not affected buy altitude or severe vehicle angles the
way a carb is.The down side of F.I. is it's more complicated to work on but this wouldn't be an issue if all the component are fairley new
and in good working order. If you contemplate swapping in a 1600cc 16 valve motor you're better off starting with a F.I. Samurai.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

I just found out that in Canada a new fi computer costs close to $2000.00 dollars, thats as much as the bloody sammy.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

fuel injected- no doubt about it. I love my fuel injection. What is a flat spot? why doesn't my sami doesn't die on inclines? Fuel injection is easier for me to work on than a carb because I am tool retarded. A carb is a bunch of jets and screws that I have to adjust for proper whatever? forget it. Way out of my league. The only way to work on a fuel injected sami is with the FSM. It is incredible -all laid out in table form. Code42= whatever... Do this, does it work now? if not, do this. Does it work now? etc...

I got a replacement JYard ECM for 150 bucks. Petroworks ( I think) will rebuild them for 300 something.
Opinionated 91 sami <-- JC Garrett

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:29 AM
martian

I wanted a FI one, but there are so many posts about people having problems with them, especially the early ones, I am glad that mine has a carb. Seems to work fine (so far). The question is: If the ECM goes out on you, can you afford to replace it? I like fuel injection, but only if it is absolutely dependable.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 09:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

The fuel injected models are reported to accelerate and have better top end speed than the stock carbed models, but I have only driven carbed models. There seem to be quite a few reported problems related to the ignition components on the fuel injected models, most of which completely disable them until replaced. Most of the problems with the stock carb seem to be fuel mixture related and do not usually prevent it from running, they just affect it's performance. I would choose a fuel injected model over a stock carbureted one, if they were both in good condition.

88.5 Samurai Hardtop
87 Samurai Convertible
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 95 with stock gearing and 31's I can go 70mph. When it was stock it had tons more power than a carbed engine.
I just converted my 86 to a Sidekick FI, I don't know if the ECM is the same as a Samurai but there are alot more Sidekicks out there to get a spare ECM from than Samurais.
First trip around the block and i knew I did the right thing converting it to FI. No more stalling, no more altitude problems, no more flooding out when I'm climbing 8 foot of vertical rock. FI all the way for 4 wheelin. Next is an auto trans from a 2wd Sidekick!

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 06:19 PM

I believe Hawk Sazuki sells remanufactured ECMs, I don't know the price but I'm sure it's much less than what the dealer wants for a
new one.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode