Catalytic Conv.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Catalytic Conv....

OK, so my cat. con. is about shot. All the inside stuff is rattling around and it's killing my power. Since I've got to replace it, thought I might as well throw on a header, high flow muffler and 2" pipe all the way. Here's my question - are there any factory cat. con's. that are high flow and will fit my '86 Sam.? Maybe something off of a Camaro, Mustang, or any other make/model for that matter. Something I could maybe find in a junkyard. Or should I just go ahead and order a new one from Catco? Many thanks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 11:04 AM

Re: Catalytic Conv....

When mine bit the dust I went to the local muffler shop. He had a genaric hi-flow cat he welded up.
Keith

C-Ya.....................kh
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 06:41 PM

Don't know about stock from other makes, but checkout Petroworks website, lists just about everything you need. Cheaper???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

make sure you check with the muffler shop on the matter, to my understanding a "high flow" cat con whether name brand or not is about the same. What I mean is the generic ones dont have much stopping the flow in them anyway and you might be wasting your money. If the ceramic is broken up in yours any way, just cut it off and dump the stuff out and have it welded back on (for looks anyway). I live in Florida and there are no inspections so I can get away with that.

jmoe [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dump the cat and go race exhaust.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 08:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the input. As it turns out I can buy a new high-flow cat. from my local parts store as cheaply as I could find one on the net or in a junkyard. I would love to dump the whole thing, but it's my daily driver (as well as weekend fun machine), so I must pass a yearly emissions inspection. Plan on going with Thorley header, high flow cat., "shorty" glasspack muffler and 2" pipe all the way. Next will be opening up the frontside of the motor with a K&N or the like and some sort of snorkle/ram air contraption. Will post the outcome. Thanks again!!!!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 11:10 AM

This may seem like a strange setup for fresh air but it seems to work and I swear every spring when the weather warms up, and I convert my '86, that my gas mileage takes a jump about 3mpg (I know the warm weather helps too). In the engine compartment, I use a plastic canning funnel ($1.66) and bolt it to the lower passenger side grill just below the horn with an existing screw hole(take off screw with an impact driver or use an EZ out when you strip it with a regular screw driver). I remove the hot/cold air hoses and vacuum shutter and then I run a piece of 3 inch dryer duct (37 cents) from it to the large opening in the filter box. I first used this on my '88 and now use it on my '86 with similar results. I hypothesis that the engine gets a ram effect at higher speeds because of the funnel located in a high pressure area of the grill. This probably is not a good idea for those who like to go wadding with their Samurais for fear of sucking up water. But for onroad and desert trails it seems to work great. When I lived in Arizona, my '86 hardtop consistantly got 33+ mpg. Now that I live in California it gets constantly 28 mpg. I think it is because of the oxygenated fuels and the fact that the smog check mechanic retarded my timing (and raise my idle speed) to pass the smog check.

For what it is worth, I am glad to see that people on this list are using their cats even when converting to a 2 inch system and headers. It is easy to think that just one cat less is not going to make a difference especially on a 1.3 engine. But vehicles are one of the major contributors to air pollution. I want my two grandchildren to have, at least, as good a quality of air as we have. (please note that I am talking about compliance with the spirit of the law and not the letter of the law since I have done the modifications with the cold/hot air hoses as well as header & 2" exhaust.)

Now if I could only figure out how to put a NASA scoop on the hood of the Samurai, this setup would be good for low water wading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode