wobbly shifter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

wobbly shifter

I need the plastic thingy that goes on the shifter, similar to the trasfer case sheet. My dealer couldnt help me does anybody know the part number. Im hoping this will cure my wobbly shifter woes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:41 PM

Re: wobbly shifter

Your problem is probably the locator bolt for the shifter. It's an easy fix. You can get the bolt from Hawk or Petroworks. Just be careful removing the old one and make sure the broken part doesn't fall in the tranny.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I have already replaced the bolt. I bought a used transmission and it had the plastic thingy. It lasted about a year then disengrated. I have have seen posts on this subject before so I know im not the only one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The dealer can't help because it isn't shown or listed in thier parts book.
My 87 samurai, plastic part above ball of the transmission shift lever found broke in 3 pieces.

I use a 1 1/4 by 1 1/2 inch vinyl plumbing drain slip washer to replace the sheet in the transfer case. I just remove the outer tapered section of the slip washer so it will fit into the hole for the transfer case shifter.

I also used a 1 1/4 by 1 1/2 inch vinyl plumbing drain slip washer to replace the broken plastic part on the transmission shifter. Here is how.
Set slip washer on cutting board with large side down.
With a knife cut down through one side of the washer at 45 degree angle looking from the top.
Turn the slip washer inside out (taper towards center of hole) inserting it into transmission hole for shifter.
Mark the slip washer for 45 degree cut to remove excess material to fit hole.
I buy those slip washers for 10 cents at ace hardware.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Does that mean this part is not available through the dealer. My dealer is always very helpful and if i had a part number he said he would try and get it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a parts book for 1986, 1987, 1988 Samurai and the Lever, gear shifting control 28101-83012 is listed. Washer 09164-24003 is next which I remeber as a metal washer. Cover, lever case is next which has 3 holes for bolts with part number changing with VIN.
Dealer looks at price book to see if part is available.
Ace Hardware is across the street and dealer is 300 miles away.
I think 10 cents for the slip washer and 10 minutes to adapt it for use is a great deal. Much better than what was posted 2 years ago that he spent about 75.00 USD for parts to adapt newer model shift lever to fix your problem with dealer parts. He said dealer couldn't get the 87 shift lever assembly. (I don't know if that is true.)
I would make the part even if dealer had it because it is less bother as I did with the lever locating bolt. My goal is get it working cheap, quick and easy not restore it to stock condition for show. It really cost me 20 cents to make the part because it took 2 tries.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2000, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have fixed three of these so far and what I did was buy the sheet washer thing for the t-case (suzuki part# 29541-80051). Then I use a belt sander and sand the small lip off the outside of the sheet washer and it fits and works perfect.
I hope this works for you. Ever single shifter I have ever taken apart was needing this repair, so it is very common.

jmoe [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

I finally found the time to fix my shifter. I had a sheet laying around and I followed jmoe's instructions. Works like a dream, no more hitting the radio box when I put it in third, I love it. thanks everybody for all the input.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 12:30 PM
Can't Get Enough

I just did the same to mine. I couldn't get into 5th gear at all. Amazing that a little bolt can do all that. These Sami's are great to work on and so far,....easier than my old Jeep. - er... I hope my old Jeepin' buddies don't see this.
EE Gad! I've been Zuked!

Scott
1988 Samurai, 5.5" soa
http://Scott_CJ8.tripod.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode