Tranny Noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Tranny Noise

I just bought my Samurai last week and got it through inspection and on the road. Tranny shift great and vehicle only has 66K original miles, but I have a concern about a gear noise when shifting into 5th gear. If you have ever heard what a set of steel on steel straight cut timimg gears on a V8 sounds like, that is the closest that I can describe this gear noise too. I am going to check the tranny level tomorrow to make sure it is okay. You can hear the noise faintly in 3rd but no where as loud as 5th. I hear the Samurai has been know to go through input shaft bearings and sometimes you need to replace the plate that it sets in. Is this true? This would be my first guess as what the problem is. Anybody also experience this problem or have any guess to what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 11:22 PM
JKing

Re: Tranny Noise

i guess it could either be the bearings or your synchros are chewed....

JKing
Malaysia
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 11:26 PM

When I purchased my '88 Samurai in '90 it had 50,000 miles on it. The 5th gear wined, but I just ignored it. After about 120,000 miles the syncro in 1st gear went out. Just one persons experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 12:41 AM
Jonathan

The bearing(s) in the lower half of the transmission (gear reduction countershaft) are shot. Eventually, the tranny will make noise in all gears except fourth (no gear reduction). It will probably last another 500 miles tops. If you have the skills, rebuild the tranny yourself. It's not much more complicated than the transfer case. I would stop driving it at all possible before you do unrepairable damage to the tranny.

FYI, the tranny in my daily samurai went out in just this manner with 150K on the odometer. Never got the chance to tear it apart. I had another tranny on hand that I rebuilt and slapped in. Good luck

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 08:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 86 has just the problem that is described above, it makes noise in every gear but 4th, it has 95,000 miles on it. I got it with the noise and am still driving it this way it has been more than 500 miles but I do not think that it is a good idea but the sound does not get loader.

P.S. I found that you could get a reabuild kit for $104 from Asian

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I think you had the same problem that I am having now. I am going to drain the oil from the tranny and replace it with some Lucas Heavy Duty 80/90 Gear oil for now. I have had good luck with Lucas products in the past. It is not a fix, but will help help for now until I find a good used tranny. I have the tools and skills to rebuild the tranny but the cost of the rebuild kits compared to the price of a used tranny are about the same. After I swap them out I can go through the tranny at my leisure. Thanks for the help.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Tranny Noise Gone?!?!

I dug up this old post because I noticed after I performed my 1.6 engine swap that the 5th gear tranny noise went away. I never thought to bring it up until now. I left the old throw out bearing and pressure plate in place and only replaced the clutch disc. The only thing I did do to the tranny was clean out the bell housing with engine cleaner to remove a bunch of gunk. The only difference now is that I used a engine adapter from Calmini to mount the 1.6 engine to the Samurai tranny and there is a slight more distance between the two then with the stock 1.3 spacer. What gives?!?!?

Tim Martin
87' Samurai/1.6L/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/MSD 6AL/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 06:11 PM

Re: Tranny Noise Gone?!?!

the tranny doesnt make a noise in 4th because the counter shaft is not used and the main shaft bearings are not put in a bind the power goes straight through its the same for yotas chevys ford and so on if you replace the main bearings now you wont damage the gears the bearing set is around 75.oo from atc transmission parts it comes with all 6 main bearings and seal and the tranny is easy to do
see ya quent

88 zuki,s/r,header,1600,locked in the rear and weber carb. with mitsu seats and 2"inch pipe
87 zuk spoa (new project)
IF GOD IS YOUR CO-PILOT SWAP SEATS
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The first post was last year when I first bought my Samurai. I now understand why 4th is silent and all of the other gears make noise. What is weird is that since I swapped the 1.6 engine and clutch the tranny is absolutely silent. That is what I am wondering about. It just doesn't make sense that in 5th gear the tranny was whining so loud that I could not here the radio and now It's like the problem just cured itself.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai/1.6L/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/MSD 6AL/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't know zoomy , maybe the input shaft was in a bind before ? Hmmmm , worth checking out .
I do love it when things fix themselves . Wouldn't brag on it too much tho......you KNOW what will happen !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode