Cam - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Cam

For those of you that run a aftermarket cam, what has been your experience with the different brands, ie, performance, fuel economy, reliability, cost? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Re: Cam

No comments on the aftermarket cams? Does that mean all you got out of your cam swap was bragging rights or was there some performance gains?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I heard Asian auto parts has a good one, check them out. DaveAZ, you out there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 05:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well I have a hawk torquer phase1 regrind. as I rebuilt my engine at the same time that I installed it I can't really
say weather it makes that much diff. I do like the motor off-road, never had a problem with too little power or
torque. (I run a grs1 +31's rock crawl alot.) On the high way not too impressed. But hey its still a 1300cc motor
no matter how you slice it.

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

3 words...
Isky Cam Technology

They're the leader in the industry for a good reason. They're not a junk yard trying to sell a cam. They're the innovators in the field.

I've run them for years on my various Suzukis and have always been very pleased with the results. Customers of ours have been as well.

Hardcore Suzuki products for hardcore enthusiasts.
http://www.rocky-road.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:50 AM
Old Hand

"DaveAZ, you out there?"

Yes, I am here. I didn't want to brag again, was looking for one of the many guys we sent cams to, to reply.

We have 4 cams
Low RPM Toquer
Low/Mid
Mid Range
And wide open go fast only at High RPM cam.

The Low end Toquer cam is doing best with modifications done to the head, Bigger Exhaust Valves!

We have some being tested in EFI Samurais' no word back yet on them, (just sent them out)

It is no secret how Geoff Beasly's New motor is running with our Low end Toquer cam. I just wish he would wait until he has more miles on it before he ran it way past "redline", BTW, it didn't float a Valve either and just kept climbing.

That cam does require some patients when used with the combo of New Built motor and a used Weber, but as soon as rings seat in it runs "wild"

We can't keep these cams in stock, they go fast, and if you compare cost, I think you will agree they are a good investment.

Be advised they are NOT for everyone, you may be better suited to use a Mid Range cam. However, all our cams cost the same!

Now, back to work,,,,

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com

"We make your Suzuki ZIP for less"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

DaveAZ, Ive heard of the bigger exhaust valve thing, what do you gain from that mod? Why is it better then swapping in a 1.6 head that already has the bigger valves?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 11:16 AM
Old Hand

Glad you asked, if you ever had a chance to look at the Toquer cam, you would see only the exhaust side of the cam has been modified.

The added opening of the E-Valves allows this cam to work even better. The differance in power gain is like going from stock exhaust to a header and 2" pipe! Also if you have that mod you gain even more all around power.

When you use a 1.6 8-V head, you are back to near the same set up as a stock 1.3 head, the valves are near the same size as each other. It may work better than a stock 1.3 head, but not nearly as well as a 1.3 head with 1.6 8-V exhaust valves only.

I wish I understood everything I know, like I know a Bumble Bee can fly, but why? I ain't got a clue, why he can fly. But I have seen both him and a Samurai with this cam/valves "FLY"!!

I should remind you, I thought I was wrong once, but later found out I was mistaken.

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com

"We make your Suzuki ZIP for less"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2000, 10:44 PM
zukiman

I have the Asian Auto Parts low-end-torque cam in my Swift GTi/Samurai hybrid motor, and I'm extremely pleased with it. The difference compared to my previous stock motor is like night and day. I have as much torque at 200 rpm as my stock motor had at 1,500 rpm. Of course, the new motor isn't stock....Swift GTi bottom end with a modified Samurai head on it: 8-valve 1600 exhaust valves, milled .020 inch, 11:1 compression. But the cam allows for great breathing at all rpms.

You'd think that with a high-performance bottom-end, I would have gone with AAPA's race cam...but this is a rock crawler, so I wanted as much low-end torque as I could get. But don't let that fool you....this cam keeps on pulling hard, right on past 8,000 rpm. Around town it's great, and once it hits 4,500 rpm, the motor just screams. I don't know how it compares to a 16-valve 1600, but I leave my friend's almost-identical-to-mine Samurai with an 8-valve 1600, header, Isky torquer cam, and lower (better-accelerating) gears in the dust. To be honest, he didn't notice any difference with the Isky cam. It sure doesn't lope like my AAPA cam does.

--Geoff Beasley
Suzuki Tech Editor: www.Off-road.com
87 Hardtop Samurai: 33's, GRS2, screamin' 1300
www.northcoast.com/~zukiman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode