VW Diesel Install - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

VW Diesel Install

Hello All,

I've had several inquiries about my VW diesel conversion, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in a write-up on my experience? My 1.9L is on the engine stand now, and my install kit & extra patrs are on it's way![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<font color=red> WooHoo!!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

OILBURNER [email protected]
1988.5 Samurai, 1.9L VW Diesel, GRS II, Toyota axles w/ 'locked High-Pinion Diff's.,
35" BFG M/T's, and Lotsa custom goodies too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 08:28 AM
pugrocker

Re: VW Diesel Install

I would be very interested in a write up on the VW install.....and I would like to put it on the ECSA website and start the tech section.....pictures would be a nice thing too.....

Thanks,
Justin
wwww.suzukisamurai.rockcrawler.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 09:22 AM

I am also very interested, but again I have a few questions. You neglected to tell me how much you paid the last time I asked you, and Doug Keltec gave me a range between 200$ AND 3000$ which leaves two much room to ponder on how much a used 1.9 diesal is. I have once again asked around for a non turbo diesal and prices are coming back soon I hope. but from your own personal experience, did you buy used or slightly rebuilt or what? Also where did you get the high centered toyo diffs from and whats your R/P and again how much? That was a course I had considered as well. Look foward to the write up. Max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 09:49 AM
WSB

Tim,
Did you complete it?
Let us know, when you are driving a diesel zuk?
Tell us what your first impression is?
Definatley post some info about it, with lots of photos!
Thanks
Wayne

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Max, I tried to email you directly, but it says your address not good?

I got my Brand New 1.9L N/A engine through Doug at Keltec. You will need to contact him about a price on one. Haven't heard of any US sources for used 1.9's.

The Toyota high-pinion diff's generally go for ~$500 per chunk, and have 4.10 gears. They use a 4 cyl locker.

1988.5 Samurai, 1.9L VW Diesel, GRS II, Toyota axles w/ 'locked High-Pinion Diff's.,
35" BFG M/T's, and Lotsa custom goodies too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 01:59 PM
pugrocker

I found this article on the internet.....

http://tech.4x4play.com/suzuki-play/.../00-103-01.htm

Tim - do you want to submit a story for the ECSA website?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I must say that the article on Gary's rig is squeaky-clean. He has a beautiful Samurai & has obviously spent a lot of time on it to bring it to show quality, but I'm more of a dirt-under-your-fingernails kinda guy & was considering a more technical article on what it Really takes to make the VW swap happen. I am the first to install a normally-aspirated 1.9L in a Samurai, so there are many obstacles along the path to 'the light' with this project. I could furnish verbage & have the capability to scan photos, but would have to depend on someone else to put it all together.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 03:18 PM
pugrocker

Tim,

I will be more than happy to put it together (just email the text and photos to [email protected]). I will make a really nice presentation on the East Coast Suzuki Assoc. website....any other technical articles would be appreciated too.

-Justin

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 03:20 PM
pugrocker

BTW - We can call the article "Do your Samurai's Powertain some Justice"

LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode