Clutch...Which one??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Clutch...Which one???

Well it finally happened, My stock clutch finally died. Now I need to know what is a good replacement clutch?? I am SPOA and Iam running 32" tires.I called Petro Works today and asked about a Centerforce dual friction and they said that they have a clutch thats better than the Centerforce. Any know anything about this clutch? or better yet anyone running this clutch?? I guess their clutch has a special clutch disc with two different componds???
Thanks, In advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Clutch...Which one???

It's probably just a dual friction 1-tonne cluch. If that is what they are on about, I strongly suggest NOT getting one. The 1-tonne clutch is good and will last for every. the only problem is that it is either in or out. It's very hard to feather a properly adjusted 1-tonne clutch.

I could be wrong.

'85 SuziSkip
1.6 22R off it's rocker
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 01:38 AM
Jonathan

I saw the PW clutch at Moab. It's a standard samurai pressure plate with a custom friction disc. They say it works as well as the CFII so I'll probably give it a shot when my CFII goes out.

The bad thing about the CFII are the weights that protrude out from the pressure plate. With a 1600cc adapter plate on the tranny, it is impossible to install/remove the transmission with the CF II clutch in place (engine/tranny in the vehicle). What you've got to do is slide the tranny into place and then install the clutch. A minor PITA whereas it's very easy to drop the tranny and install the clutch with the stock setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 09:32 AM

Skip,

The Petroworks clutch is NOT just a HD 1-ton jury-rigged clutch. Gary has been working directly with the manufacturer, and they have developed a new clutch that is designed specifically for off-roading. The Centerforce clutches are good units, but they are designed for Racing-- Not for trail-riding or rock crawling. They dump the engine power to the tranny all at once-- the window where you can slip them is practically nonexistant, and despite the rumors, yes you can smoke 'em. I had a CF in my Samurai, and liked it fine. I sold my engine w/ clutch to finance my diesel project. (unfortunatley a fancy clutch isn't an option w/ the VW diesel, but at least the new clutch you get is much bigger than the Samurai one) In the mean time I helped a bud do a 4x4 conversion to his fuelie Sam, and we put in a GRS I & one of Petrowork's new super-clutches all at the same time. To say I was impressed with the clutch is an <font color=red>Understatement</font color=red>! I like it Much better than the CF I had & would recommend it to anyone. I'm not sure if he monitors this board, but I'll hook you up with him & you can get his opinon, too-- just click on the address: [email protected]

OILBURNER (aka: Tim Justice)
1988.5 Samurai, 1.9L VW Diesel, GRS II, Toyota axles w/ 'locked High-Pinion Diff's.,
35" BFG M/T's, and Lotsa custom goodies too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 10:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm running a PW clutch. IMHO, it is the best clutch for off-road applications.

I compared all the clutches, and decided against the CF for reasons given by Tim J. The CF is a racing clutch.

Was going to get a Sachs, as they are given good ratings. But Gary (PW) said he just came out with his new one (this was last March). Basically, its a Sachs clutch with a H/D organic material on the flywheel side. This allows for better slip, as the flywheel is a better heat sink. It also reduces the glazing that can occur when a feramic puck is slipped. The P/P side is feramic pucks, like a CFII. This gives you ultra-grip when the clutch is let all the way out.

I think I got that right. But I might be confused.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. Gary will take the time to explain it better.

All in all, if you wheel moderately, a Sachs is probably just fine. But if you want a kick-ass clutch, then go with the PW.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 11:41 AM
pugrocker

I have a centerforce dual friction and it is ok except in my personal experience it seems a little bit "grabby".....kind-of is just is engaged or not engaged - no middle ground if you know I mean????

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 01:45 PM
Old Hand

I have been running the Petroworks performance clutch since mid-november. It looks similar to a clutch you would find in diesel applications. Only under extreme conditions before i installed a grs1, I got it hot enough to slip and burn. It out preformed my friends Centerforce DF at zuki melt. Lately i have had a hard time getting it adjusted correctly for some reason It sometimes releases a little weird almost like in 2 steps, it's hard to explain. I probably adjusted it wrong? Sorry for rambling, just my experience.

ZUK ON !!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim speaks the truth. I believe there isn't that much price difference either, from going with a stock clutch or the Pworks clutch.

The Petroworks clutch is awesome. I love it. I tend to feather a lot and have been very hard on clutches in my life. This clutch would let me ease and feather all I like but still be able to slam it out and hear a chirp. I wouldn't go with any other clutch for offroad.

I do notice it being more forgiving since I have put on 33s than it was with the 31s. I still don't have the horrible starting off in second gear feeling like with a totally ungeared rig,(until I get my diffs 4.62'ed)but it is noticeably more feathered lately and doing just fine.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 01:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Decisions, dedisions. I decided on an automatic.

No Stranger
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2000, 02:39 PM

i did not like the cf clutches too abrupt for street use
hard to adjust-almost impossible to pull tranny with engine
in car-i am currently running a used pw with added return
spring for pedal feel my buddy hated the soft pedal feel &
gave it up-was like new but soft pedal like stock so i added
the spring stand on it & love it no fade use your leg!!

88 spoa samurai
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode