What is the best year Samurai to buy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

What is the best year Samurai to buy?

Hi, I'm have been looking around this message board for a while and I decided that I would like to purchase a Suzuki Samurai. I have been looking around for a while and I really like the samurai's. They have a open top option, they are inexpensive, look fun to drive, they are inexpensive, great trail vehicle, and they are inexpensive. I have a 97' ford explorer xlt already and I've spent a lot of money buying things for that and now I'm ready to get something a lot smaller that I don't have to spend a lot of money on and will be something that can go a lot of places that most full size 4 wheelers can't go. My questions are what years are the best to look for when purchasing? Is there anything that makes a certain year better than others? I've noticed that most people have 1988 samurai's is that just a coincidence? How much should I pay for when I purchase one? Are there certain options that I should look for when buying? (such as Petroworks GRSII transfer case, lockers, gears, engine mods. which get expensive) Is there anything I'm leaving out? Any information that you could give me about these wonderful little vehicles would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
Seth
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What is the best year Samurai to buy?

hi seth,i have an 88.i would watch all the boards.i have seen some all decked out,just ride and drive,for $1500.00 to $5000.00.nothing left to do.hope that helps,ranger rick

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:03 AM

Seth,

By All Means get a 1989-or newer model, which will be fuel-injected. It will be worth the extra money.

OILBURNER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 11:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

'94s and '95's have no back seat. That's good new if you're looking for a trail rig. That's bad news if you want to toss your rear occupants out of the back seat and on to the road when crossing train tracks only to have a truck following you run them over. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I guess I shouldn't be making fun of that.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 11:53 AM
pugrocker

All model years of Samurai are good to buy

OILBURNER is probably right about the fuel injection thing -> and the newer models are less likely to have any body rot (rust, etc.). I personally have a 1988-1/2 and I have no complaints...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:01 PM
pugrocker

"I've noticed that most people have 1988 samurai's is that just a coincidence?"

One other thing (and I might not be 100% right about this assumption) - but I think that the reason there are so many 1988 models is because the following year sales dropped because of the Consumer Reports deal which eventually killed Samurai sales in the US. Suzuki continued to sell and market the 1989 model year, with sales as low as 2,000 per month compared to 10,000-12,000 per month a year earlier....eventually the Consumers Report on 60 minutes had taken it's toll....

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information guys. I think I'll go look around for a 89+ then. Are there any options that I should look for or look out for?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 04:03 PM

......just make sure it's a 4WD model -- they sold 2WD ones, also [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

OILBURNER (aka: Tim Justice)
1988.5 Samurai, 1.9L VW Diesel, GRS II, Toyota axles w/ 'locked High-Pinion Diff's.,
35" BFG M/T's, and Lotsa custom goodies too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 06:07 PM

Just a little input from an 87'You can still find 86-7 with no rot (mine doesnt)and a lot of people seem to part these out a lot more[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]and I think carb models are easier to work on.But like was said earlier,all models are potential!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 11:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Options to look for

A/C - for future air compressor
That cool Altmeter/Inclinometer in the dash[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Light guards[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Fake wood sides[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in