intermittent vibration - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

intermittent vibration

I need some advice on an intermittent vibration. I have a stock '86 hardtop except for K&N filter, Thorley Headers and 2" cat back exhaust. All other equipment is orginal except for stock size tires. On a few occasions I had a vibrations which could not be felt through the steering but was a combination of sound and feeling. This happens after driving at hiway speeds and slowing down to below 40. Any help would be apprecated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: intermittent vibration

check tire balance,tierod ends,kingpins,transmission mount,transfer case mount,eng.mount.hope its the cheap fix ,ranger rick

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

might want to check out the universal joints in the driveshaft. just had mine replaced on my 89 sidekick. i got a vibration at high speed when 'windmilling' the engine. that is, not accelerating or decelerating. i guess with no load the loose joints let the shaft flop around under there. are your front hubs locked? if so, might be something up front.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First of all do you have locking hubs? or is it a part time system? your front drive shaft can cause a vibration and a kinda rattly grumble if it is a part time system. The splines on the drive shafts get a little loose and the sounds and vibration start . Check your splines by grabbing the shaft in the center and and give them a shake if you notice excessive movement then that is the problem. You can also check the wheel brgs. they are another problem area .

Good luck and let me know what you find

Manitoba Trail Masters
Brent Steliga

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

In answer to your question, the vehicle is a '86 Samurai with part time 4wd and locking hubs. The vibration seems to be independent of whether I have the hubs locked or not. The front end seems tight and the wheels are balanced. I have a feeling it is one or more of the U joints. Does anybody have a recommendation for a high quality greasable U joint for the Samurai. Since I live about 60 miles south of Trail Tough, I may stop in there for a diagnosis. The advise of the list so far has been much appreciated. Thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok did you check the play in the splines or look for possible rusted splines ????
i found that Nepco u-joints are great but im sorry i dont know where you would find those out there????

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just for reference, my u joints were about 22 bucks cdn each, at canadian tire, a big box type of store up here. they were 80 each at the local zuk dealer. the cheap ones are also greaseable. and after 11 years on the first set, i know i'll never do that again.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 11:31 AM
Can't Get Enough

I just picked up 2 greasable u-joints at Autozone for $8.99 each. The brand shown on the box is PDQ.

88.5 Samurai Hardtop
87 Samurai Convertible
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 12:00 PM
pugrocker

I had a strange vibration that I DID NOT feel through the steering wheel, but was coming from the floor area....and it only happened at low speeds on the highway and when I initially accelerated. As it turns out it was the ehaust system (2" exhaust system with Thorley Headers - like you have) was hitting the floor boards. The exhaust system was a bolt on - but quickly started rusting and I replaced it with a custom bent 2-1/4" pipe and Flowmaster muffler and now all is well. I do not know if you have the same problem, but check the clearance between your exhaust system and the floor boards / frame.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2000, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I believe I may have narrowed down what was causing the sound/vibration on my '86 Samurai. Yesterday I was running some steep trails and I noticed my back tire were spinning out even though I had the transfere case lever in 4wd high and the dash light was on. So I shifted into 4wd low and my back tire continuted to spin but the front did not move. Anybody got any insight into what the problem could be? Since I am not mechanic and I live within 60 minutes of Medford, OR, I guess it is time to take the Samurai into Brent at Trail Tough to have a real suzuki mechanic look at it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode