Calmini 4:57 Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Calmini 4:57 Problems

I have a little Problem. i munched the rear pinion on my 4:57and it was not really a high stress load that caused it
can anyone tell me if this is a problem with these particular gear sets. Also does anyone know what the gear lash is supposed to be for these gears.I am a mechanic and i put them myself and i do know what i am doing , thats why i am so baffled

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Calmini 4:57 Problems

I had the 5.43 Calmini gears, lasted 10 months untill the rear pinon cracked and chiped.
And I too was not in high stress wheeling when it happened. Since I bought and installed me a set of 5.12 sidekick gears and swapped in a 1.6, put em through HELL and back, and no problems yet and it's been almost 2 years of hardcore rocking. I sold on the factory gears for now.
BTW I have 1 set of good 5.43 R+P for sale $150. This one was in front

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 09:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks that made my day , i just got rid of my
5:12 and gave them to a buddy . I liked them but i drive 30 miles to work every day so they weren't pratical for my use.
And thanks for the offer of the gears but i may and up going with dana 44s and 33s or 35s it depends on how far i can push the wife..thanks for your response

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 02:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I to had a problem with Calmini's 4.57 gear set. I had them installed professionally and within 2 months the rear set broke. I took it back to my mechanic and he said that there was a flaw in the casting of the ring gear. He showed me the dark spot where the crack in the gear was and explained to me that it must have been there before the gear was hardened. I sent it back to Calmini and they said that it was set up wrong and they were not going to replace it. I can't say who was a fault but my mechanic didn't charge me for another setup charge and Calmini charged me for another ring and pinion. Well I guess I'm not the only one that had this happen to them.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 05:53 PM

Yodazuk,
Backlash on Samurai gears should be .004-.006 ". It's also important to set the pinion height and bearing preload.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 12:03 PM

Hey "rockcrawler" still have that r&p for sale? Is it in canada or US? if it is in canadian money i may want them.
Anton

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anton,
US funds, this one was in the front. Still have em

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Samuguy yeah it is pretty bad when a company dosen't back their product. My back lash was 10 thou and that was what was i was told they should be but after i closed that up to about 5 and i havent had a problem since.Also, my problem was with the pinion in the rear. It chipped one side of the pinion teeth, so now i run it in the front and it has been ok so far.

Manitoba Trail Masters
Brent Steliga

If you Haven't rolled, You are not trying hard enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode