Calmini 5" Lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Calmini 5\" Lift

I have just finished installing a Calmini 5" lift on my 94 Sammy and now have a nasty vibration mostly noticeable in 2nd gear. It shows up under Acceleration and Deceleration and is not very noticeable while in the other gears. This vibration was NOT there before installing the kit... I have installed new U-Joints and still have same problem... I am going to try wedges on the rear axle assy. to decrease pinion angle and see if this helps. Does anybody have any ideas?? Calmini is of no help...........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 07:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Calmini 5\" Lift

2wd or 4wd? does it feel like it is coming from the rear or front? Have you checked the driveshaft splines to see if they are good? are they aligned properly? (The yokes should be ligned up. also there are dots by the ends of the splines.) Do you use spacers on the driveshafts with this kit?( I just looke dat the calmin site yes you do have
spacers) try swapping them front to rear. Also did you put them at the diff end of the driveshaft? They should go there. Hope this helps.

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, Guess what, I have the same problem with my 95! Already put wedges under the rear, replace ujoints, and it's still there! Bout ready to do a spring over on this one.
Funny thing is this kit came off my 86 and it had no vibrations at all. As yours mine had no Vibration before lifing it with the calmini kit. Good luck, I know i'm not having any.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 08:54 PM

rodnee, Calmini is of no help? Give them a call and ask to speak to Steve or Randy, I'm sure these guys will help you out. FWIW I installed a set of 3" Nationals on a Samurai and it had a little vibration. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]Can't wait for RRO's comments![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 12:42 AM
Old Hand

RRO don't need to say a thing,
these guys did it well enough.
LMAO,,,,,,

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com

"We make your Suzuki ZIP for less"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 09:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Okay, let's start at the beginning. Call Calmini and speak with Steve. He will help. I too have a Calmini 5"er on a 1994 and I maybe able to help out.

Second, whenever you lift, you are going to get driveline vibes whether it's SpOA or SpUA. This is due to the increase in the angles. SpOA in NOT without vibes.

Here's what I found. When I did my lift, my rear slip was frozen. Didn't notice it when it was stock, but boy did it vibe when it was lifted! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] R&R it and that helped a lot.

Now the front, if the vibe is most noticable with hubs locked then the front is the most likely culprit. Check the slip. Also check the spacers. There are two, and one is slightly larger. Make sure they are in the right places.

You will get some vibes, as do I. Mine isn't really noticable. You can go with extended slip yokes, as these lessen the driveshaft angles compared to spacers. Any good drive shaft shop can do this for you cheap. Or get one of the many types of hi-po (read: EXPENSIVE)driveshafts like the CV, Birfield or such. Or you can save the money and live with it. Shims can help, but I wouldn't put them in the front. Besides, the rear really doesn't need it as the extended shackles help tilt it upward. The front is usually the culprit. The beauty of the Calmini set-up is that the front caster angles remain stock, which is best for roadability. However, this increases the shaft angle. Can't have cake and eat it too. (Very stupid saying, is it normal to have cake and not eat it? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img])

You could shim the front so the pinion points to the t-case, but to do it right you need to cut, spin and reweld the knuckle assemblys to set them back to normal.

IMHO, it's not that bad. It take getting use to. But give Steve at Calmini a call. He's a great guy and will help out.

Let me know how it works out.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 09:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Dave,

Do you always laff your arse off at a stranger who needs help? Or only those who buy/use Calmini?

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 09:50 AM
Old Hand

"Do you always laff your arse off at a stranger who needs help? Or only those who buy/use Calmini?"

Tim, it was none of the above, I was laughing at 88.5's reply "Can't wait for RRO's comments!", RRO is the only one to write about it. (until now)

Asian Auto Parts

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 10:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Okay, no hard feelings. You know I get a little defensive about Calmini. There are some here (no names mentioned) who like to talk smack about them, and I feel I need to say that the kit works well for what it was intended for. Not the best, but the best bolt-on IMHO.

Again, I'm sorry I read your comments out of context. Do ya forgive?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 10:27 AM
Old Hand

Tim

Not a problem here, I forgive you.

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode