Let me introduce myself... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Let me introduce myself...

Hello Suzuki owners,

My name is Tim and I am a "VW guy". I own several VW's at any given time. Right now I own a '60 VW Bus, a '67 VW Beetle,and a '70's fiberglass Myers Manx dune buggy. What attracted me to the VW community was of the car at first. The car kind of looks at you, smiling, and there seems to be some kind of magic with the car that I have never found with any other car. I tell you, they couldn't have picked a better car to star in Disney's "Herbie". Later, after owning VW's I discovered that there was something different about the people who drive them too. About 12 years ago I broke down in my '66 bug. I had a flat and when I took out my spare, to my surprise it had gone flat too. As I sat there deciding what to do, another VW guy pulled over and asked what's wrong. He then proceded to pull out his spare and mount it. I asked him what I owed him and an address so I could return the spare. He said, "Don't worry, I have another one at home" and drove off. I never even got his name. Ever since then, I look for VW's broke down VW's on the road side to repay my debt and in 12 years I have long repaid my debt and now just do it as a hobby.

Well, all of my years driving VW's I have noticed that there was another underdog of the automobile world. A vehicle that has been kicked at, punched at and pushed out of the US market like the Beetle was back in the 70's. That car was the Suzuki Samurai. I have always shown a intrest in these little jeep like vehicles and swore one day I would own one. Everytime I saw a friend that owned one I would tell them "Hey, if you ever decide to sell you Samurai, let me know". Unforunatly, all of my friends still own theirs. About two months ago, I finally set off to find my own Samurai and have run across quite a few people, and just this week I bought my rust free '87 Samurai with only 66K miles. I was able to buy it for very little money because it had originally been bought for a teenager's first car and the parents had became worried that it was unsafe. So there it sat on the side of the house for two years until I came across it. It needs a muffler, brakes overhauled, two new tires, and the carburetor rebuilt. I was surprised to find the parts are reasonably inexpensive like VW's (not as much inexpensive as the VW, but remember they built tens of millions of VW's). But what I have also discovered is the people who surround these tiny cars also share something with the VW community. The Suzuki people seem to have a positive outlook towards one another and their cars (Have you ever seen a proud Yugo owner?). They are mostly friendly and try to help each other out when they can. I have found this board to be a valuable asset, not only for it's technical information, but for the ability of one person to reach out and give a fellow Suzuki owner a helping hand. This is a part of the reason I like owning my Samurai and hope to meet new people who also share a common intrest. I have owned Chevrolets, Fords, Jeeps, and Dodges in the past and have never found this type of community. The people who willing provide so much help on this board deserves a pat on their back. I hope to meet and talk with many of you in the future and before I put you all asleep, I would like to thank everyone for the help and ending and saying, "I am also a proud Suzuki guy too!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:13 AM

Re: Let me introduce myself...

Alright zoomy ! Your an east coast samuri, another to the fold. Your profile lacks, your should fill it in so we dont think your such a stranger. Are you going to build your samuri up for an off road fun machine or restore it to the multipurpose street machine it was intended to be? Just curious what your plans are. Keep in touch. Max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:15 AM
mike shannon

Well i got my first samurai about 18 mo. a go on a trade for a tractor i was selling.i had planned on using it as the neighborhood golf cart.i had no idea how capable a 4x4 it was, well it didn't take long to figure it out. i used to look down on thes little 4xs but now if i go wheeling it is the one that goes.i got it stock and did all the work on it myself and i am proud of it.i have humbled more than one 4x that didn't think that it had what it took.all i can say is welcome to the clan.and by the way since i got mine three friends and my brother have all bought samurai's and we have had a blast.mike

88ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Howdy, I used to have a 66 vdub That Turned into a dune buggy too,, Welcome to the fold so to speak,
We try to be as helpfull as possible evan if some of us get a little sidetracked. Where are you out of?

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 11:22 AM
Jonathan

Well, I sort of like VWs and Suzukis too. My vehicles consist of a 1956 VW Beetle (European Deluxe Oval-36hp engine, semaphores, etc.), a 1981 VW Rabbit Conv (stock), a 1986 Suzuki Samurai Conv (1600cc engine, SPOA, hardtop, GRS I, 31" tires, etc), and a 1988.5 Samurai Conv (1600cc, OME lift, GRS I, 30" tires etc.) I also sense a similarity between the two vehicle manufacturers/clubs/fans.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I updated my profile. I plan to first get things running and on the road. Going to tear carb off and rebuild this weekend and mig on a new muffler.

First I plan to buy the RRO 5.5" SPOA perches. Sometimes it is just easier to buy this stuff when you don't have the time to build it yourself. Like their perches because they distribute the load of the vehicle not only on the top but also the bottom stock spring perch when you fully weld them. I here stock Suzuki Axle tubes are thin so this I think is important. Have Mig and Tig welder, so will be taking my time and welding them on all the way around. Will find a set of CJ springs soon and do that swap too. For now stock springs will do. Has anyone ever tried a ladder bar set up? Just a thought. Have a couple chromoly sets sitting around and it wouldn't take much to make them work.

Have a couple side draft and down draft Weber and Dellorto carbs too. Anybody see a place that makes a intkae for a side draft? Haven't figured out much engine wise yet. Cam, head porting, carb and exhaust are a must though.

Hate the lame stock interior. I have a sheet metal sheer, brake, and bead roller. Will probably whip out a set of aluminum door panels like you see in drag cars. Have chop saw, tubing notcher and tubing bender, so full cage is coming too. Will build a cage out of 1-5/8" DOM. I have a set of RCI seats sitting in my garage.I like the plain RCI seats and Kirkey aluminum seats. Easy installs, no headaches, I find them comfortable. Have several (SFI dates have expired) sets of 5 point harnesses too that I will install.

Not much else I have planned yet. Got to keep everything low for right now. Wife has already threatened to have a yard sale while I am away and sell my race cars! She has no idea what she is in for on this one. I do well on side work in the garage so it cost her nothing. She just gets mad because I spend a lot on my cars. Usually have to do the right thing and take her out to diner and buy her a couple of things and she forgets about my small fleet of cars and parts I have building up in my garage. Atleast for a while she forgets...

Wife thinks I bought a Samurai because it's good on gas. She doesn't know is I am secretly building a Tiny Giant Killer! Now how do I hide the 33" Swampers and do a SPOA next time she goes shopping?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 03:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Welcome!

I too was a long time VeeDub head. Owned many, including a 67 EMPI buggy, 79 westfalia, 81 westfalia w/911-4, and others.

Still own a trick '73 Karmann Ghia coupe with a 2.8 type 4. Believe it or not, I haven't diving it since 1993. Sits in my folks garage (I'm 33) and I go over occasionally in sit it it and make racing sounds. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I know what you mean. I love Sammy's 'cuz they have that same underdog thing. I love the commrade thing, like beeping and waving when you see another Sam (like the Bugs) Love to make the Jeepers think, "Little rice-burning crapper, it'll never make it" then do it, much like the way I used to dust Iroc Z's with my KG. Ahhh, the look on their faces

You'll be happy with your new toy, and your new friends. Again, welcome!

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 03:52 PM

JEEZZ laweez that doesnt sound like a garage it sounds like the place I go when I die! Chop saw, five point seatbelts just LAYING AROUND? MOMMA !! Need a tenent? Why cant Maryland be closer? I just got my mig and a stick burner today, my girl got them for me for my b-day. I will be using them this weekend, but now im eying a chop saw, 4 1/2" grinder, and a drill press and bench grinder. so much to get when you do your own. Of all the things, you could buy conferrs and weld a plate down to the spring perch below easily rather then buy the kit. But thats the benifit of money, and I hope to have it when I graduate. For now though im trying to build as much as I can and as much as Glenn Loud (wildweasel) will show me. Im now looking for an old bike shifter so I can do a hand throttle..... It sounds like you are going to fit perfect on this board. Thanks for the profile update, it helps us get to know the basics. Take Care, and keep us updated. Max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 06:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hi zoomy4,welcome to the board.i too had vws my best was a vw thing 4" tub lift,bus transaxle.2180 eng,ect.i just bought my sami back in june,and reopened my 4x4 shop,first time in years.so if you live in indiana,near nashville,your welcome to use it.ranger rick

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Well the five point harnesses are out of my race cars. They are dated and after two years NHRA makes you replace them. Some people send them back to the manufactuer to have then rewebbed but that cost damn near the same as buying a new harness. I choose to keep mine, buy new ones and then I have them around for projects like a Samurai or Dune Buggy. I sell them at swap meets for $40 and they go quick. Mostly offroaders buy them because there is nothing wrong with them.

Yeah, I know I could make the perches, and at one time I use to make about everything for my cars. Though the two extra hours measuring cutting fitting and welding eight pieces of flat stock on to a pair of perches is not worth it to me. I could be out playing ball with my kids or something. There has to be some kind of balance between your time and your money.

If you want to buy some shop tools I would suggest going to Harbor Frieght Tools. Here is there website: http://www.harborfreight.com They sell plenty of shop equipment at really good prices. I buy all of my grinding wheels, chop saw blades, air tools from them. I have two Dewalt 4.5" grinders that I have been using for years with no problems. But one day while I was ordering they had this 4" grinder they usually sell for $20 on sale for $14 and I thought I would buy it just to see what kind of quality it was. Well I have had it for three years now and it hasn't failed me since. It isn't quite as nice as my Dewalt, and it doesn't have a dead mans switch, so you have to be careful, but I have no complaints so far. I might just order another one when one of my other grinders break. I bought my chop saw and tubing notcher from them too. The same notcher was selling for $170 in car magazines and I bought mine for $49. Works great. Give them a look, you would be surprised ow fast you can built up your garage if you spend wisely. Later

Wife thinks I bought a Samurai because it's good on gas. She doesn't know is I am secretly building a Tiny Giant Killer! Now how do I hide the 33" Swampers and do a SPOA next time she goes shopping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode