Front Wheel Stud Spinning - HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Front Wheel Stud Spinning - HELP!

I bought a Samurai and was going to inspect the brakes to make sure everything was up to par. When I tried to loosen a front lug nut the stud started spinning. I tried using some WD-40 to free the nut but it ends up making the stud spin even more. My next step is probably to go buy a nut spliter to break the lug nut off. Has any one ever replaced a front wheel stud before? Is it a simple job or do you have to remove the axle? I have replaced one on a front wheel drive Pontiac and i took forever to get the axle out enough to press the stud in from the back. Is a Samurai easier? I looked in a Haynes book and it doesn't cover it. I think I am going to buy a Suzuki shop manual as soon as I can find one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 05:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Front Wheel Stud Spinning - HELP!

just remove the wheel with the spindle still attached and you can get to the back of the stud. Just remove the big nut that holds it on to the axle and the whole thing will come right off, then tack weld the stud to keep it from rotating, then, while you are there, repack the bearings.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I see what you are talking about... remove the spindle nut underneath the hub and pull the whole rotor/caliper assembly off of the spindle. Cool, but will I be able to get to the back of the wheel stud with the backing plate still in place? Any addition help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 07:36 AM
mike shannon

you can change the stud with out pulling any thing off. my buddies samurai had three spinning on one side and two spinning on the other.had to burn them off with a torch,no big deal.just get the wheel off and rotate the the bad stud to the top.and knock it out and replace it with a new one use a lug nut and washers to pull it in.it will more than likely need the stud tack welded in because the spinning stud normally cuts out the flat that is there to hold it.don't go crazy with the welder just a little tack.hope this helps mike

88ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I'll give it a try... Then once I get the wheel off I am going to buy a new stud since the reason it probally spun is the threads are gawled or really rusty. Then once I have it pressed back in by way of lugnut and a stack of washers I will mig a small bead on the back for extra insurance. Thanks for the advice.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 08:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem and had to air chisel it off.
From what I've found, you can only get the front studs from a Suzi dealer or maybe from Hawk Suzuki.
Napa carries the back studs.

Good Luck!

Thanks,
Shawn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 11:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if you have a compressor and an impact gun you may be able to get it off

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I got it off! Gee, that doesn't sound right... Last night before I retired to the internet I applied liberal amounts of Kroil to the nut and left it overnight. This afternoon I fired off the compressor and hit it with my impact and wouldn't you know it came loose. Thanks for the help. Like I said I am new to Samurai's. I had this happen on an older Chevy rear drum and had no choice than to torch them off. I will drop a small bead on all of the front studs so this will not happen again. Still looking for a couple studs to stick in my tool box just in case I do ever need one. Especially if they are as scarce as you say they are. Thanks again.

Wife thinks I bought a Samurai because it's good on gas. She doesn't know is I am secretly building a Tiny Giant Killer! Now how do I hide the 33" Swampers and do a SPOA next time she goes shopping?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Damn if you wern't right about the availability of those wheel studs! I went to two differnet Pep Boy's, one Trak Auto and Auto Zone and they all have them listed in the book however when you look on the shelf, they are not there. I will try some foriegn car places next and then if all fails drive to the Suzuki dealership. Luckly I still have one around me. There use to be three of them, now just one left.

Wife thinks I bought a Samurai because it's good on gas. She doesn't know is I am secretly building a Tiny Giant Killer! Now how do I hide the 33" Swampers and do a SPOA next time she goes shopping?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 10:25 AM

Have you tried Carquest? I bought some front wheel studs there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode