Got spoa vibes - droppin the 'case - good idea?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Got spoa vibes - droppin the \'case - good idea??

Hey there,

gone SPOA i had to add a leaf on my front spring-pack and had it re-curved, too - due to a negative arch in the stock springs...

due to the added height, now i get vibes in 4hi (incl. sounds from the u-joints - sound changes w/ speed, but not with higher/lower gear) - i assume i reached the limit in terms of driveshaft-angle...

what would be the best cure for this (not willing to shell out $300+ for a cv driveshaft)

my idea is to lower the case - how do you feel about it ?

oldzuki pointed out that the case would be hanging low, but on 31" and 5"+ of lift and the extremely short wheelbase - i guess i can live w/ it?

any opinions welcome!!!

thanks, Alfred

ps: how do you 5,5" spoa guys do it???

pps: when dropping the case should i lower the transmission case, too or will the lowerd transfer case still bolt up (w/o problems)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 08:22 PM

Re: Got spoa vibes - droppin the \'case - good idea??

alfred- i'm going to follow this post of yours closely-i
point my pinions toward the transfer case when i do a spoa
which works for me,but other people tell me this is a no-no
i run 5 1/2 spoa's or taller i started doing this cause i
used to eat u-joints at the pinion end of the driveshaft

88 spoa samurai
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

oldzuki,

according to the RRO instructions, you can tilt the rear-end 3 degrees upwards installing the spoa-kit. We did it but not in the front (caster)

thanks an bye
alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 12:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

on my new spoa kit ,it said to set degree level on diff. at 13 degree,while putting your spring perch at 0 degree.weld up and when you put it together your set at proper angle of 10 degree.hope this helps,ranger rick

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The first order of business is to make sure you have a driveshaft spacer in there. Then you know it is not the slipnes wobbling as much as the angles of the driveshaft being out.

The main problem is that the front output on the Samurai points up. This really creates problems with larger lifts. The easy fix? Don't drive around in 4WD high on the highway. In 4hi off road it is unlikely a vibration would be noticed.

The best fix? A CV driveshaft. Ain't cheap though.

Lowering your tcase will help. But I cannot (as a wheeler) advocate making a modification to lower your clearance under the vehicle. It just breaks my heart. If done correctly though, there should be no other problems except possibly having to open the hole in the floor for the tcasxe shifter as with some body lifts.

In closing, do NOT rotate your front axle housing. It'll mess up your castor angles and play havoc with your steering control on the highway. The only instance where this would work is if you actually ground the outer knuckle and then reweld it by rotating the center section of the axle. This is pretty involved though.

Hardcore Suzuki products for hardcore enthusiasts.
http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode