spoa-axle movement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

spoa-axle movement

how far can i move my axles? with rear springs to front i gain 1".if i redrill my perches i can gain another 1".where do i get into trouble?same for rear,withCJ springs how far back will it move the axle and can i redrill the perches to move the axle back further,thanks,ranger rick

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 02:21 PM
mike shannon

Re: spoa-axle movement

As long as you keep it 1 to 2 in. in the front you should not have to much trouble,but keep in mind that you will run in to problems with the shock mounts,the drive shafts,brake lines and the off set of your z link.with mine 1 in. foward[done with a set of rear springs with overloads]it now can touch the front of the wheel well at full stuff and the back gets hit pretty regular with 33,s 5.5 lift and 1 in of shackle lift. so just don't go crazy with the movement.i can't say much about the rear mine is still stock location with a couple of extra leaves on the rear springs.and it hits on the front and back of the rear well not to bad but it does hit in the center.

88ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

hi mike,thanks for the come back.i have 3"body-3"tired spring and i am going for the SPOA.i just installed 32x11.50 and they rub springs,so i ordered 8x15 with 2"BS. with the 4.3 in front and a tensen winch i need some clearence and springs to hold up the extra 400#,rick

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 04:36 PM

rick watch out that you get off-centered on your tire to wheel well spacing other wise go for it!

88 spoa samurai
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

THANKS JOHN,I WILL WATCH FOR THAT,RICK

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We've found that with the stock style linkage, you can only go forward on the front about 1" before the linkage start to bind up on itself. Beyond 1" and bad things start to happento steering. A kit like the HHO steering system would eliminate this preoblem.

For the rear, same thing. About an inch is fine. Beyond that it will start getting into the gas tank. Of course the gas tank can be moved with some modification so there's potential to go further back than 1".

Hardcore Suzuki products for hardcore enthusiasts.
http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 11:41 AM

just a word of caution, here... (own experience)

the axle can very well move in the oposite direction of what one would assume...

having the shakles upfront (front axle) one would assume that the axle moves forward on compression... right???

however.... my front (stock) springs got into negative arch the first day off-roading w/ spoa.... and the the axle starts moving BACKWARDS on compression (as the leaves start getting shorter w/ the negative arc getting more negative)

this is one of those cases, where practice seems to defy theory ,o)

just keep things like these in mind when going for your mod... i sliced up a pair of brand new bfgmts pretty badly...

added a leaf meanwhile and now the front driveshaft angle seems to be beyond good-and-bad .... i got vibes.

anyone!.... is it a good idea to drop the transfer one "... to compensate the angle, or would a get into problems with the shaft that runs from the transmission to the transfer???

pls help if you have been there/done that....

thanks
alfred, chile

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 01:13 PM

alfred to me dropping the transfer case down 1" seems like
asking for trouble. the little darlings are low now and
hanging on a bracket like they do could realy go rock bound
if you have the clearance only would i try it. my two cents
worth

88 spoa samurai
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

glen,alfred and john,thanks for your recent input.i will stick with the 1" in front and 1" in back.i do not do real rough stuff [broken back & old age],so i will follow your advise and go moderate.thanks for taking the time to respond ranger rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode