Very few built Sidekick/Trackers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 02:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Very few built Sidekick/Trackers

Well lately, ive really been looking at my options for a new vehicle. With my move down to LA, as a daily driver id really like an auto tranny, so I was thinking a Sidekick/Tracker. Why are there so very few built Sidekicks? are they not a good platform to start building on or what? Just trying to narrow down my options... and what kind of options would i be looking at when building a decent Sidekick/Tracker for offroad/onroad usage?

Justin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 08:19 AM

Re: Very few built Sidekick/Trackers

IMHO the Vitara/Tracker/S'kick is not a very good platform to build from (suspension, alum. front diff.) - compared to the sami

however, if you dont plan on goin overkill, you still will get a very capable rig... just check RRO sidekick page... lockers, lift-kits, headers.... you name it

alfred

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The fact is is that samurai's are becoming harder to find. Sidekicks are the next logical thing to build. I know Steve Cramer has a very capable Kick his is using as a proto rig. I myself am working on a 5 inch suspension kit as well as a solid axle swap. I think in a year you will start to see many modifications for sidekicks coming out.
Sky.

Sky.
85 ext cab, green, flatbed, external cage, locked, swampers, air, and misc suzuki's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 06:39 PM
CSR

Last weekend, I got to see a built Sidekick and trail ride with the owner. This 'kick had Calmini suspension, 4:1 t-case gears w/ stock 5.38's in the axles, 33" BFG's, lockers F&R, and a full cage. It's off-road performance was AWESOME! He went everywhere that we went in our built Samurai's with ease.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] On a few of the climbs the 'kick actually performed better than a Sami, no axle wrap with the four-link/coil rear suspension. I was VERY impressed with this rig! Sidekick/Trackers CAN be built into very capable off-road vehicles.

And with that being said....

I have a '91 Tracker 4x4 for sale. It can be seen at..... http://www.geocities.com/zuki_chris/forsale.html
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/zuki_chris/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 07:26 AM

This is the only built kick i have ever seen.It seems like the $$$ you would have to throw out on solid axle and such you could build up 2 sammis.But very nice!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:01 AM
ronin

I have seen a lot of built Kicks and Trackers. Most all of them were very well done. Some were solid axle some were IFS. Calmini has some new pics up of their current trail project Tracker on their page. Looks nice although I can't say I agree with the pinkish red color[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. As far as the solid axle goes, I guess that would depend on your intended use for the vehicle. If you are going to rock crawl it then the solid axle may be better, but if it is going to be a mud buggy or desert runner then IFS may be the better route (I am not an expert, just guessing[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). Besides, the one in the picture above looks like it is doing just fine on its IFS. Personally, I wouldn't trade my Samurai for the world but I wouldn't mind having a nice lifted Sidekick for beach blasting either. But as the Samurais become harder to find we are going to have to broaden our horizons to the Sidekicks and Trackers and eventually to the Vitaras and GVs. Suzuki has always provided a good stable platform for these off road vehicles and with a little work and aftermarket support, I think all of them can be built into very capable rigs.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone know what exactly the Calmini project Sidekick has on it? looks like a pretty rad machine, except for that ugly, nasty color. What about bumpers? something like the Crawler series by Rocky Road, but for the Sidekick would be ideal... any ideas?

Justin

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Cool built Trackers/sidekick

I agree 100% with every ones posts, Great job I am a Track/sami Builder My Tracker is Lets Use the Words SICK as the kids call it,

IFS units.
2" Lift Perfect for daily driver crusin around 29.5" tires no cutting
4" as long as you drop the front end down 1" and space the rear third your still ok. 30.5 tires no cutting
5.5-6 is were problems run into
the Big problem with this setup is the front dif you can only lower it so much to get good angles on the cvs, You drop the front stuts with spacers making the front end return to its factory flex up and down, Well up is no problem its when you hang the one wheel Evey time *SNAP* 130.00 to replace. 31-33 no cutting

throw a 2" maybe 3" body lift and the tire size will go up also.the brakets go down and the tracker...

SOA Solid axle.

sammi diffs
Toyota difs

sammi work good with wheel spacers
toyota are stronger and wider but diffrent bolt pattern so you have to change both.

Solid axle springs choices.

cheap weld in a set of toyota or sammi leafs and be done
or fab up a 4 0r 3 link coil over system and spend a few bucks.

Can clear over 35" tires and look like a mini monster truck lol.

Just 91% of all guys that build a tracker start at the spring spacer lift and then spend all the coin on the diffrent lift setups and then at the bitter end and number of cvs they go solid axle and never go back
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Holy old thread, Batman!

Yankee Tim
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 PM

Kick on

Well to stir the coals Tim, I junked my 2" sky rear spacer lift and my stock ruf springs on my tracker and installed the rr sammy 3" Calmini springs and shackles(no more hitting shackles) up front and cherokee coils in the rear, making my own 3"upper link spacer for the rear and it rips. I thought the sammy sas with chromos and locker made my lincoln locked tracker 100% better, now I wish I did this in the first place, the stock sammy springs bend like toothpicks and give all kinds of bumpsteer and wander, I can wheel hard and still do 75 down the highway now(still wanders a lil, need a panhard). The only thing I had to buy were shocks,gr.12.9 metric bolts for the rear link and 3/4" ds spacers, everything else I had lying around. This is cheap, easy to do(compared to a home made full toyota coil), and works great. I would guess that it probally is better than full leaf swaps doing yotas cause of zero axle wrap out back climbing, just spins n grabs, no hops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode