Any Vitara/Grand Vitara owners around here? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Any Vitara/Grand Vitara owners around here?

Looking for owners of 99-00 model year Vitaras/Grand Vitaras and Chevy Trackers. Are they any others on this BBS?

I'm looking at installing the current 2.5" or the soon-to-be-released 3" Calmini kit this spring before Moab. Any one running this system? Comments?

I would also like to get the body lifted, but the bumper thing has me perplexed. Definitely not a Sidekick here. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Anyone got the gearing ratios yet for the different motors/set-up? In particular, I'm looking for the t-case for the V6 auto, and the R&P #'s for the 4-cyl. auto and stick, and the V6.

Anyone want to start talking modifiying the most recent addtions to the Suzuki fold?

Yankee Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 09:46 AM
pugrocker

Re: Any Vitara/Grand Vitara owners around here?

All I can say is that about two months ago I rented one from Enterprise Rent A Car and drove with my girlfriend and my dog up to Mount Okemo in VT for a weekend getaway. Mount Okemo has a mountain road (paved) that you can drive to the top of its highest peak. Of course I could not resist and I drove it on the Ski Trails (no snow at this time of year - of course). The truck was pretty good in stock form. I drove right up several very steep grades covered with grass and rock - NO PROBLEMS....I even had the A/C on. Seems like a pretty good platform to start off on....I am very impressed. I had a 1994 4 door Sidekick with a Calmini 2" lift and 29 x 10.5 Thornbirds and I would say that the Vitara in stock form is definately a good candidate for a trail rig.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I really agree. The 5-link rear is pretty flexy. And the new box/ladder frame is solid. My GV Limited has 235/75R16's which are 29" now. Hope to go to 31"s.

The gearing now is all torque, and it revs high at top speed. Hoping 31"s will tame it some, but I don't want to lose much power. Re-gearing might be in order.

Gotta get busy and finish the Safari roof basket I'm making.

Yankee Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 11:11 AM
pugrocker

The Grand Vitara is a really huge step up from the 4 door Sidekick. The truck drives really solid and has a nice powerplant. When you get your rig setup drop some pictures, I would like to see how it comes out......

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My friend sold his. He rolled it and it scared him too much. I think he was a whimp but hey he is happy with his piece of crap Chevy.

I love to watch my fat girl friend try to strip in front of me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 07:18 PM

Hey Tim,
I Own A 2000 Grand Vitara and would Love to here how you make out with the lift.
Also I was wondering if you have had any problems with yours. I have a problem every once in a while with it starting cold. It's almost like it is flooding itself. I checked with the dealer and they told me that suzuki is aware of the problem but hasn't pin pointed it yet. Then just last week I had a problem with the antilock brakes. For some reason the anti-locks kicked on and then the brake peddle got hard and I lost my brakes. This happened in my driveway twice at a speed of less than 5 mph. Again the dealer couldn't find any problems. It also pulss to the right when the brakes are cold. I have about 9500 miles on it and the tires are worn out. I love my suzukis but this one seems to be giving me a lot of grief. If you have any suggestions please let me know. By the way I can't make it to Mass. cause I have to work that weekend but I live in PA and will try to make the next one. Maybe we could try the place in Hazelton,Pa next.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Oh my gawd! I'm not that bad off.

*knocking on wood*

Mine has about the same miles. I'm waiting till the 36K mile warranty wears out befor the lift, which should be in March or there abouts.

I have had a couple of stalls in the morning, but I thought that it was due to parking it on a hill. As for the brakes, yeah they come on all the time, especially when going slow. There is a pot hole at the bottom of our road that every time I go thru it while braking, no matter how slow, it comes on. It has come on a couple of times after I've started it and thru it into reverse quickly.. Not sure why. And a couple of times it has pulled hard (read: REAL HARD) when coming to a stop within the first couple/few of miles.m Again, clueless.

I know it's a pretty sophisticated ABS system, so it might be quirky. As for the tires, mine are wearing quite well *knocks on wood again*

Other than that, I love it! Lotsa low-end power. Is yours the V6? Oh, and the leather seats? Definately will end up in my sammy.

I'm going to put 245/75R16 BFG A/T's on it, using Spidertrax spacers to give some backspacing. Those go on soon before snow flys. I've got to finish the safari basket soon too. It will have four KC's on the front. The spare goes on the roof and a Jerry can/Hi-lift takes the place of the rear mount spare. It'll look sweet. A lot tougher than it looks now.

My fiance wants me to gold plate safari basket, winch bumper and all the other armor to match the gold on the Limited edition.

Can someone say, "Gag me!"?

Yankee Tim

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 11:47 AM

Tim,
I didnt get the the limited Grand Vitara but I did get the V-6. Wow What a differance between these and the sidekicks. I think I am going to trade it in on the new 7 passenger when they get to the dealers. I need the room. My wife and I just had twins last month. Now with the 2 car seats and my 7 year old there is absolutely no room in the GV. I was thinking Caravan (yeah right), But hopefully the new 7-passanger could handle my growing family. Can't wait to see them on the lot. As far as the tires go, the dealer told me to goto Firestone and see if I could get some kind of treadwear waranty money towards another set of tires. I haven't gave much thought to what kind and size to get though. I'll let you know if they do anything about the poor wear on the factory tires.

How far away from the Scranton,PA area are you. Maybe we could get together with a few of the folks around here and do some trail riding with our samurais. It seems that they are becoming very popular around here. I've met quite a few people around here that own them and we've been talking about getting together soon for another run.

Luvmyzuki

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 1984 suziki street bike and it sucks!!

I love to watch my fat girl friend try to strip in front of me.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I had your fat gurlfiend strip in front of me ... and sucked! Me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode