Lockers & Diffs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lockers & Diffs

OK, I have reached my limit for waiting on the Gearless Locker from Track-Tech. I am now looking to buy either a EZ-Locker or one of the factory suzuki limited slip units and my question to you guys is which is better? I know the limited slip would be better on the highway but how is its off road preformance? All of my friends around here have the EZ-locker so I know what it can do and the noise it makes. I am tired of riding shotgun! Im ready ready to drive my zuk! HELP!!!

Thanks, T.C.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 03:29 PM

Re: Lockers & Diffs

My advice is( From what Ive heard from alot of people)is to get a lockrite.Ive heard that the EZs and LS have clutches that tend to wear out after a while.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an EZ-locker in the rear of my 86 and a lock right in the front. the rear EZ does not have clutches, it has gears, it will wear your tires, it will perform crazy on road (but not to the point of undrivable, I drive mine at 60 mph all the time), it will be better the a LS off road due to the fact it LOCKS. The LS is better on road but will wear out quickly off road if used. Once you get used to the locker you don't know its there.
I hear people having problems with the lockers with sidegears. Now My rear does have the sidegears and I have wheeled it hard for two years now with no problems. the front locker runs on factory sidegears and I hear with the factory sidegears it's quiter.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 08:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i have a lock right in the rear of my 88 sami,its great off road and i really do not notice it on the road.good luck

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 08:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lockrights are well known in the industry as lasting longer than the EZlockers. Who sells what depends on what profit margin they want to go with. EZ lockers make a shop more money, Lockrights just last longer.

The LSDs do work well. I have the same holdups with lockers in the rear as you. Never liked them on the back of my Samurais since we drive ours around on the highways alot, and live in snow country. The LSD served its purpose for us and when I did need it to lock up on the trail, I just cranked on the parking brake and that did the trick.

Best of everything? The ARB. Big cost though. We have ARBs on the back of both our Zuks now and I wouldn't trade the flexibility, driveability, offroadability for anything.

Hardcore Suzuki products for hardcore enthusiasts.
http://www.rocky-road.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 09:03 AM
pugrocker

What do you mean you just cranked on the parking brake and that did the trick?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 12:32 PM
I Do This For The Glory

You could run dual E-brakes with the LSD (or open). I have them, left over from the non-locker days (for show/instructional now), and they cost about $15 (junkyard parts) and a little time to install. They work great except for the mud, by the time you yank the handle in the mud, you're stopped and then it's too late. Just something else to consider as a low buck alternative.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 01:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Dual E-brake handles is a trick from the VW folks. JC Whitney and others used to sell a kit to add on the existing e-brake handle to select which wheel you would brake. Worked real well.

Never thought of using it with a LSD.

Yankee Time

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pulling the parking brake is an old wheelers trick.

If you have an open diff, pulling the ebrake will make it work similar to an LSD. It puts resistance on the freely spinning tire. I've gotten unstuck from quite a few situations with an open diff vehicle just by pulling the ebrake up for a make-shift LSD.

If you have an LSD on your vehicle, it operates the same way. Less power is wasted through the spinning side and starts to transfer to the side that has traction. it will start to act like a locker.

Keep in mind that nothing will completely lock you up except for a locker. However, for many years I took my old red Zuk through some of the gnarliest trails in the West with only a front locker and rear LSD.... pulling on the ebrake when it was needed.

Now if only I could find a good supplier for the Zuk LSDs!

Hardcore Suzuki products for hardcore enthusiasts.
http://www.rocky-road.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 10:06 PM

Calmini supplies them. RRRRRRR

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode