head rebuilt,problems SOLVED - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2000, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

head rebuilt,problems SOLVED

a local shop with a very knowledgeable zuki guy does this 92 8 valve head, we bolt it all up with no problems, get a new timing belt, go to crank it and NOTHING.
played with the timing for 2 days now, reinstalled the timing belt just to verify its proper fitup.
distributer has been moved all over the place, always going back to the same spot, find TDC#1 on the compression stroke and reinstall the distributer with the rotor pointing at the number one spark plug tower on teh distributer cap, then try dialing in 6-8 deg of advance from there, no good.

it almost ran once while I held the throttle open and cranked away, and there is a KNOCKING from inside the distributer, cap removal shows the rotor hitting the inside of the cap?
'not the terminals but the plastic part of the cap.
what in the HELL>!

all 4 spark plugs grounded against the exh manifold, and cranking the key, all 4 are making the arc. fule is being supplied based on teh smell from the open plug holes.

I even removed the screws from teh dist cap, and had a buddy crank on teh key as I rotated that cap around about 340 degress on teh base ( as far as the plug wire tension would allow) IT NEVER CRANKED, thats right before I did the test of the spark plugs!

please any advice!!!!

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 08:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: head rebuilt,now problems

Are the valves adjusted the right way? To this I mean is the piston at the right position when adjusting the valves?
I don't have my shop manual handy so I am trying to do it out of memory, for the first set of valves the piston should
be TDC, and for the 2nd set another piston should be. (Hows that for Not helpfull.) I will try to check the shop
manual tonight. Unless the rotor is on incorrectly I suspect that the knocking you hear is actally the valves possibly
hitting the piston? I would realy go over this thing by the shop manual and see if something was missed.

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 09:56 AM
Old Hand

You posted on the bbs,,,,that you couldn't get your Zook to run after installing a new head. Lets start at the beginning,,,,did you put the pin in the head that runs the fuel pump?

If you did, then lets go to making sure your timing is correct.
It will involve taking everything back down to the timing belt to make sure it's right.

The best way I have found to do this is set the bottom crank gear pointed straight up to the mark, then aim the top cam gear down pointed at the crank gear. There is a small line on the face of the top cam gear that runs across a hole on it, line it up with the molding line in the block,,,,,this should make it also aim at the bottom gear. Now you are on TDC on number one cylinder. Now install the timing belt, keeping it tight on the right side,,,,your right,,,the driver's side of the engine.

Now you can set the distributor in ,,pointed at the number one spark plug on the cap. set it just a hair back (counter clockwise) of number one.

Now pull the valve cover off, and set the valves. To do this take a number 12 mm wrench and loosen all of the rocker arms, then set the intake on number one too .006 and the exhaust too .008
then set number 2 intake and number 3 exhaust.

It is better if they are a little loose rather then tight.

Now turn motor one full revolution clockwise around to the timing mark.
then set number 4 intake and exhaust, then number 3 intake and number 2 exhaust.

Put your timing cover, and valve cover back on and fire it up, if it don't start right away, make sure it is getting gas, check spark plugs by seeing if they are wet, if they are hold your gas peddle to the floor and turn motor over while turning the distrib back and forth.

Should fire right up,,,,

Asian Auto Parts
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com

"We make your Suzuki ZIP for less"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 11:00 AM

Did you get it to work?

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

ok guys thanks for the help!

the valves are adjusted in the proper sequence to the tight side of the cold specs ( we figured to readjust after it got hot)

its a 1992 model, I know nothing about a fuel pump "driver pin" in teh head? please explain?

the Haynes manual shows the mark on the crank pointing UP towards a little arrow on TOP right near the valve cover lip, when I stuck it on I thought that I remembered it pointing down, but since the tear down and reassembly wasnt done totally by and several days apart I trusted the manual.

the manual shows the cam pulley marks pointing UP
and your telling me to point them down at the crank pullety??

man Ill hunt down someone from Haynes editing and stick my foot in there arse
is the manual wrong on this? or is it a year model thing?

OzarkJeep

"Too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 05:20 PM
Old Hand

"the manual shows the cam pulley marks pointing UP
and your telling me to point them down at the crank pullety??"

The book does say that, but it does it tell you to put the distributor in at that point? If you look at the cam, you are on the "fire" of number 4 with the cam mark up.

"its a 1992 model, I know nothing about a fuel pump "driver pin" in teh head? please explain?"

If you have fuel injection, then disregard my comment about the pin.

I thought I was wrong once, but found out I was mistaken.

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 07:53 PM

Ozarkjeep-Dave is right i got out my haynes and looked at
the picture its wrong they are showing the camshaft sprocket
for seting 3rd and 4th intake valve and 2nd and 4th exhaust
this is not tdc on first piston cam mark down grank mark up
with 1 piston @tdc is right for timing @ dist and seting
1&2 intake valves 1&3 exhaust valves then 360 deg clockwise
to set the others

88 spoa samurai
97 sidekick sport
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2000, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

ok, thanks for clearing up the photo, it isnt my sami, or my sami book, it belongs to a good pal, and Ive been volunteering labor and know how fr a few days trying to help him.
he is even less of a mechanic than myself.

here is the deal, today, after yalls advice, he changed the timing , removed the timing belt pointed the cam at the crank.
ad the distributer just as Dave explained, add new Bosch platnums, new cap and rotor.

and VIOLA.

nada, nata damn thing.

any other ideas?

Im ready to help him out of his miisery with a sledge hammer.

BTW this is the same rig we converted to 4wd last year, and added an sj4210 Tcase for a etter hear reduction.

I really do appreciate any and all ideas, and opinions.

thanks!

OzarkJeep

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 12:01 AM
Old Hand

Got Gas?
Got Spark?
try turning it over while using a timing light,,see if your close,,,,if all else fails,,,,use the BFH.

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 03:25 AM
Addict

I had this problem with a small block chevy after removing the intake. Turned out the clyinders had dryed out and no gas vapors were in the cly's.
The enging would just turn over and over but would not fire up. I used some WD 40 and sprayed into the carb while turning the engine over and it soon fired up. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]Dont use starting fluid[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The WD40 has a oil base and will help lube the cly walls. Just my .02 Good luck!

<font color=red>Toolmaster</font color=red>
http://sites.netscape.net/tmtoolman/zuki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode