Cj springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cj springs

I am getting ready to do a spoa on my sammy, just waiting for parts (hint hint)RR offroad. I have read some people are using their rear Sammy springs in the front and Cj springs in the rear. Well to my good fortune my bud with a Cj just lifted it and will give me his old ones. Here is my question what benifit is this setup, and what is involved is it just bolt on or will the hangers have to be moved? I also have a shackel lift and how will this effect this setup? I don't have the stock shackles so I was going to use them, any help would be appreciated

1986 Samuraii
Shackles
4:1 trasfer case
More mods on the way just waiting for the lottery board to call
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 11:20 AM
mike shannon

Re: Cj springs

You will have to put on longer shackles to compesate for the longer springs,and a front panhard bar is pretty much required.but this does move the front axle out about 1 in with the samurai rear spring[did this to fit 33 on mine]or you can get a set of missing links from glen or from brent at trail tough.i left the over loads on mine and i am glad i did,still have plenty of flex.but i need the panhard bar.hope this helps mike

88ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Longer springs provide a greater potential for wheel travel along the vertical plane. They can also provide a smoother ride quality (depending on the spring rate). With getting better flex off-road and better on-road ride, I just don't know why anyone in their right mind who is doing a SOA would even consider not going with longer springs.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I've seen several methods to mount longer springs. You could use hyper-shackles, move the spring/shackle mounts, drill new centre holes in the springs, drill new spring perch holes, reconstruct the spring hangers to relocate the spring eyes (steel plates with holes drilled).

You'd have to talk to people who have done it to get the scoop.

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ <font color=red>Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 10:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mike shannon-tell me about the panhard bar--on the over load spring ,does it go front or rear/did you use the cj or sami spring overload.thanks ranger rick

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 12:50 AM
Old Hand

Oooooyea!

Tell us more of this 'panhard bar"

I also put the rear Samurai springs up front, just the top 2 from the rear, and the bottom 3 from the front.

DaveAZ

Asian Auto Parts
http://www.asianautopartsofaz.com

"We make your Suzuki ZIP for less"
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 12:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Here is why you should have a Panhard Kit on a SPOA Samurai! It is used to control lateral stability on a SPOA. I know I'm getting one when they come out! Here is the link: http://www.spidertrax.com/Garage/Pan...ge_panhard.htm hope that this helps out!

Brian [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 01:45 PM

one thing to consider...

i went spoa a month ago, and first time wheeling out ther (dunes), i nearly trashed my brand new 31" BFGMTs... they just kept hitting the rear part of the fender-well (fron axle).

Turns out that the stock front springs went into a negative arch and under compression the arch got more negative and "shorter", thats what makes the front axle move backwards.

I had my leaves re-curved and a leaf added (total $60,-), ride is slightly rougher now (still better than stock), but nothing is touching base...

be prepared to do something with your stock leaves if going spoa, mine only had 40k Miles on them and were wasted in a day.

someone else had the same experience?

bye Alfred, CHILE

ps: seems my rear end needs the same treatment, as i start melting the shock-boots on the rs9000 on the exhaust (there was about one " of air in between in the beginning)

see fotos

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-193623-levantado2-low.jpg (26.6 KB, 22 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 01:47 PM

more fotos

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-193624-levantado3-low.jpg (31.3 KB, 29 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 01:48 PM

las t foto

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-193625-levantado4-low.jpg (28.0 KB, 27 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2000, 03:35 PM
mike shannon

rick just use the samurai spring with over loads on the front[you may want to ad the short leaves from your front pack to hold up that v6]don't worry about it being to stiff,you wont have that problem.the pan hard rod will attach from the frame to the axle as close to the same angle as the steering link,it would work a little better in front of the axle.but you risk wacking it.i am still running samurai springs in the back,my second set and they aren't a 2 mo. old and i could use new ones,with plenty of gearing and 33's i can bend the springs pretty easy,you even easier with that v6.i added 2 leaves from the front pack that i had taken off it helped and it didn't hurt the flex but i still could use a stiffer spring.i am going to get some cj springs as sone as i have some time.caution check out the clearance on your shocks when you add the rear springs[i was using the stock lower mount with custom towers]and i ruined my shocks when we put it on the fork lift to check it out.was to busy looking at the flex.you will have to extend your drive shaft i did mine like brent at trail tough,had 1 in. spacers i didn't like them.hope this helps mike

88ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode