CALMINI Linkage Steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 02:27 PM
pugrocker

CALMINI Linkage Steering

Is there a lift height requirement (minimum or maximum) for the CALMINI Linkage Steering kit? Does anyone have any feedback on it? Better than a Z-Link?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 03:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CALMINI Linkage Steering

ANy info I could give is third hand at best, that said some people love them some people hate them.
One thing they do is quicken the steering,In that I mean you will have less turns of the steering wheel
from stop to stop of the front end. This is becuase of the bell crank arrangment. At the least I suspect you will
need 4" lift to use this system, It is somewhat adjustable. The breeze knuckle over steering is one of the
other alternatives. And is the type I am going to replace my Z-link with sometime. If you do a search on this in the
bbs you may find some of the info from others. (Boy you know how to ask questions that will get some folks
boiling over on this one!!)

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 03:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I think it handles up to 5 or 6 inches of lift. It will cut your lock-to-lock in half. Makes for easier driving, but can be hard to turn in some cases when off-road without P/S. Works best in conjuction with P/S.

Some will say it creates "hyper-steer", but I guess one could compare it the the oh-so accurate stock steering.

Z-links, or bend and gussested, work. You can buy 'em or make your own it your a good welder. I can't speak for them as I don't own one. From what I hear they get the job done and reduce the bumpsteer, but some posted that they bent even the indestrucable ones.

Knuckle over is the new thing and makes most sense, but I would let them prove themselves out first.

Yankee Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 03:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

In defense of Z-links Esp RRO 's the one I bent , I was pushing a huge oak log at the time and my bumper rode
over it and the end of the log smacked the link bending it. Really bad misuse to say the least. otherwise I am
happy with it for now. it is certainly one of the cheaper options.

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 05:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I cannot speak for the Calmini linkage but I have the Breeze crossover set-up. Really nice. I can't see how you could ever break it. You would bend the tie rod before breaking any of their parts. I believe its cheaper than Calmini as well. I do believe you need to be SPOA to use it though

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 05:48 PM

You're going to get a little bit of bump steer with a Z-link,none with the Calmini cross over system.This will only be noticeable on the
street.Good points on the Z-link are simpicity and lower cost.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2000, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the Calmini Link on my 95, it works good, no bumpsteer. It can handle from 2" to 6" of lift. I do have p/s now and I can tell you you will want it with this setup.
I can't say much about the 'Z' link, haven't got to drive my 86 with it yet (still waiting on those gold plated missing links).

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 10:24 AM
pugrocker

I have the Toyota power steering from Canyon State....will the Calmini Linkage work with this setup???

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2000, 10:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Give Steve Kramer at Calmini a call. He's a great guy and will be happy to answer.

Yankee Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode