Should I buy this Samurai? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Should I buy this Samurai?

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting here because I figured this would be the place to get the help I need. I sold my 1968 Scout 800 a few weeks ago (turned out to be more of a project then I wanted) and I always liked the Suzuki Samurai's, so for the past few months I have been reading everything I can on them. I found a 1992 Sammy with 65,000 miles all stock. I plan on making this a trail rig and was wondering if this would be a good base Samurai to start with. I took it for a ride and everything worked good. The body has a few spots of surface rust but thats it. The dealer is asking $3,200. So I wait a few weeks, go back now it's down to $2,800(this car lot is of the beaten path and not many people around here are looking for Sammys)So I ask him whats the best he can do and he comes down to $2,500. Now I drove by the lot today and it's still there so I figure he wants to get rid of this thing so I'm thinking about offering him $2,000 for it but I'll go as high as $2,200 that's it. Now here comes the hard part(the wife)she keeps telling me that I'm gonna kill myself in it and it's gonna roll and crush me etc.etc. Now if all you kind people can post how great of a deal this is and how safe Sammy's are, maybe I can convince her to let me buy it! I took some pictures of it with my digital camera and posted them on photopoint so I'll try and put the link with this messsage, or see the above attachment. Let me know what you think. Thanks for your help! Here's the photopoint address. <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=35345&a=7145586" target="_new">
See my photos of Samurai at PhotoPoint</A>

Matt S.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-189998-P7110044.jpg (60.5 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 12:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Should I buy this Samurai?

What's a new Sam worth over there (do you guys still get the current model?) I'm from Australia, so your prices don't mean a whole heap to me.

I bought a '91 Sam in much the same condition (see attached pic) as the one you're looking at in '97 for $10,000. It had a few extras like a big-a&& bullbar, fibreglass canopy and new tyres. These probably added $2,000 to the price (ie- without the extras it'd have cost me $8,000) A new Sam in '97 was worth $14,000 new in Aus.

As long as there's no evidence of off-road use it looks like it's be a good buy.

Jasen.

PS Check under the floor covering in the rear for rust around the tail gate seal and near the rear seat bolt holes.

Check out our Suzuki 4WD site in Australia.
! AusZook ! - Home of the Australian Suzuki Offroader! http://www.emucities.com/emu/hobbies/auszook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-190025-mz1770.jpg (85.6 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 01:00 AM
Old Hand

BUY IT!!!!!!! $2500 for a 92 is great. If it's going to be a trail rig than it's going to find a way to "TIP" that's the key word. let the wife know that if you know how to "wheel" than you know you normally don't roll. Of course I would leave home with out a 'cage anyway so you shouldn't either. unless you planing on making a quick turn going 30 on a trail you'll be safe. and if you did do that I'll make to bitch you out for it. Cause I never get up past 10 mph.
JIMMY

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 01:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

Buy IT! - After my long and extensive search for a good Sami, I've seen a lot. As a '92 it has fuel injection, which is a big plus! and it looks to be in great shape. I'd say it's worth $2500, but hey, if you can get him to go lower, by all means, give it a shot.
BTW, tell the wife that you'll be saving big buck in gas - getting about 3 times the mpgs over your Scout. And all the old roll-over stories was bad publicity hype, which if you do some research, you'll find that the reports have been nullified.
Good luck!

Scott

http://Scott_CJ8.tripod.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 01:18 AM
Old Hand

Hey I was wondering how much a hard top like that cost in Australia. and what company makes it!! I would love to have one like that here in the states.I'm willing to pay shipping for that wonderful thing.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The NHTSA is a federal goverment organization that deals with highway saftey and car defects (ODI). I have some of the informaion here concerning their investigation about the Samurai roll over problem:

2.0 PREVIOUS INQUIRIES AND INVESTIGATIONS BY NHTSA INTO ALLEGED ROLLOVER DEFECTS

In 1988, ODI received two petitions for a defect investigation regarding the alleged rollover propensity of 1986 through 1988 Suzuki Samurai vehicles, including convertible and Suzuki "variants" of the Samurai, the SJ410 and LJ80 models (DP88-011 and DP88-019). NHTSA also denied these petitions, primarily because the available information did not show that the rollovers were caused by a defect in the vehicle rather than by the driver and/or environmental factors. NHTSA concluded that: 1) The rollover crash involvement of the Samurai was no worse than that of most other light utility vehicles; 2) Occupant ejection is the primary cause of fatal and serious injuries in a rollover; 3) The Samurai had a track width to center of gravity (cg) ratio higher (better) than that of most other light utility vehicles. This ratio has been demonstrated to have a fundamental effect on the rollover propensity of vehicles; 4) The likelihood of a rollover is dependent on a variety of conditions present at any given moment, including vehicle condition, road/ground surface, topography, and vehicle speed; 5) Testing indicated that vehicle control was not a problem when the Suzuki vehicles were driven by experienced drivers. However, the short wheelbase, narrow track width, and low vehicular mass could cause an inexperienced driver to over-react to a given situation and induce rollover; 6) The test procedures for assessing the rollover propensity of vehicles existing during the time period the petition was considered were unsatisfactory identifiers of relative rollover propensity because they did not allow repeatable, reproducible results; and 7) The lack of utility vehicle driving experience exhibited by the Samurai drivers was the most important factor in many of the rollover events reviewed by the agency.

In 1996 ODI was again petitioned to open a defect investigation into the Suzuki Samurai's rollover propensity. The petitioner alleged that Samurai convertibles have high rollover propensity, as reflected by their low static stability factor, and, when loaded with occupants, the vehicle is even less stable. After reviewing the materials presented in that petition and other available data and information, the agency concluded that it was unlikely that further investigation of alleged Samurai convertible rollover propensity would enable NHTSA to identify a safety-related defect. The petition (DP96-004) was therefore denied.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 01:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got rid of my 'glass top because they crack like crazy when you get into some decent off-roading. I sold my canopy for A$200!

Try http://www.tjmproducts.com.au or
http://www.grpauto.com.au

One of these guys should be able to point you in the right direction.

Jasen

P.S. I've heard that the TJM canopy is heaps tougher than the one i had (made by "WOW" canopies Australia)

P.P.S Here's my Zook now: http://www.emucities.com/emu/hobbies.../owners/me.htm

Check out our Suzuki 4WD site in Australia.
! AusZook ! - Home of the Australian Suzuki Offroader! http://www.emucities.com/emu/hobbies/auszook
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 07:41 AM
martian

Mine has shown no propensity for rolling, and I have thrown it around a bit on-road. Gets a little squirrely on the highway when hitting bumps, but then if the shocks weren't as old as the vehicle, it wouldn't do that either.
She's more than likely going to complain about the ride, new shocks all round, and better seats before you take her out, he he.
It's not a sedan, but it also doesn't handle badly at all.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 10:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

What state is it in? Is it in the "Rust Belt"?

Yankee Tim

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Matt,
Fuel-injected is THE WAY to go, and it looks like you have one there for a good price to boot. The Samurai is no more prone to roll over than any other short wheelbase SUV-- you just have to drive it knowing it's limits. It is even more safe when you do a spring-over conversion, and go with 8" rims w/ ~2.5" backspacing (hint-hint)

Regards,
Tim J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode