New Calmini one-piece T-case gears - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

New Calmini one-piece T-case gears

Installed a set of the new T-case gears from Calmini in a customer's Sammy this weekend. Everything went together wonderfully. We ran it about 20-25 miles at highway speed and then invited the owner to another 10+ miles of thrashing it off-road. Although it is very premature, seems that all is working fine.

The one-piece gear looks well made. Now that Calmini has this manufacturing capability, a whole slew of new gear combos are within reach, or so they say. Even for the Kick, Vitara and Grand Vitara. Good news for us who own the "other" Suzukis anf don't want to spend over $1,000.00 for gears.

Yankee Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 05:09 PM

Re: New Calmini one-piece T-case gears

Yankee Tim--- Shame on you for saying something positive about Calmini! Seriously, how long did it take to install the gears. I've been considering doing the swap myself but I haven't quite gotten the nerve yet. Are the bolts on the transfer case as hard to break loose as some of the other bolts?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 06:20 PM

Do the new manufacture gears run as quiet as the old style welded 4.16 gear set?

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

"Shame on you for saying something positive about Calmini!"

I know right, some would have me tarred & feathered!

"Seriously, how long did it take to install the gears"

It takes us about two hours, kit and kaboodle. If your doing it buy hand, it might take a long time. Those flange bolts can be ridiculously hard. On occasion, I've used an air chisle to get the bolt to spin enough for the air gun to take it the rest of the way. Other than that, the rest of the bolts are easy

That time estimate included removal/install, disassembly, cleaning the case/parts, reassembly, 2lo option (becomes a standard feature if you lose the detent ball! LOL), and beefed-up t-case mounts. We charge $200.00 for all, you bring GOOD core case and new gear set kit (not just the gears). We can also provide the gears and you supply just the case, or we sell the complete t-case, with and without core.

Yankee Tim

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quite? Well, quite in a sammy is a realitive word. LOL

Yes, very much so. No difference when compared to my Calmini welded set, if anything I'd say they are more quite. I really wish the 1-pieces were ready when I bought my last set. This fit and finish is remarkable. In very pleasent to not see a weld seam. IMHO, it would appear that the 1-piece is a more balanced gear, as you don't have the variances of the weld. Nothing but smmmoooootthhh.

This guy will be at the NE fest with the new gear set in. We'll see how it hold up to a weekend of thrashing.

Yankee Tim

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 08:30 AM
WSB

Tim,

What other vehicles use the gears that are used in welded gear set used in other than a Sami t-case? If any!
Maybe I could hunt down a set form a junkyard and weld them myself!

Balance should be that much of a problem considering the low speed that is used offroad.

Wayne

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2000, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

They are actually a hodgepodge of gears from SJ410 and SJ413 t-cases. SJ410 aren't easy to come by. And it's not something that you can "cut & weld" in one's garage. Best bet is to get a well-made gear set. It would save time and possibly money.

At $450, the Calmini gears are a good deal. It has all the seals, bearings (genuine Suzuki) and even the oil.

Yankee Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode