Looking for power steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2000, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Looking for power steering

I'm tired of building my Popeye arms. :-)

Being a Suzuki purist, I'm looking for a Kick/Tracker pump, res and box. Being a Scot, I'm hoping to find one cheap and local.

Can anyone spare a dime for cup of coffee for a fellow American who is down on his luck? (Need to know Bugs Bunny well to get that one)

Yankee Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2000, 02:03 PM
martian

Re: Looking for power steering

Rolling Stones, "hey, you, get off of my cloud"
Scotsman, "hey, MacLoud, get off of my ewe"

He he he

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2000, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Q: Why do Scotsmen were kilts?

A: 'Cuz sheep can hear a zipper a mile away.

God, I love good scottish jokes.

Yankee Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2000, 09:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Just remember for every mile on the
road of life there's two miles of ditch.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 09:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are tired of Popeye arms, why go with the Sidekick system. I think everyone is well aware that the Sidekick system is the weakest on the planet. I've driven vehicles with those kits on before on the trail with larger tires and it was like not having P/S at all. Why waste the money?

Be a Zuk nut, but be sensible as well. Very few of us run stock Suzuki shocks anymore because they just don'tfill the bill. The Suzuki P/S systems are weak and will leave you down the road wondering why you spent so much on sucha weak system. The Toyota system offers and actual upgrade and solution to your popeye dilemna.

Hardcore Suzuki products for hardcore enthusiasts.
http://www.rocky-road.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Glenn wrote "why go with the Sidekick system?"

Many reasons. First and foremost, 'cuz it's Suzuki. Being a purist, I try to keep as much OEM as possible.

Second, these Toyota set-ups are based on tired old 70's models. Don't you how long cars last out there, but those we long gone over 10 years ago out here in the NorthEast.

That being said, what about parts in the long haul, say it 10-15 years more. Getting those toyota parts will be like finding parts for a classic car. The Sidekick system was on everything up to 98 as I know, so you can find alot newer parts and they'll be around for a long time.

Glenn said, "I've driven vehicles with those kits on before on the trail with larger tires and it was like not having P/S at all. "

I too have driven Sidekick P/S equipped rigs and the difference over no P/S is like night and day. They turned a 32" tire just fine, and I don't think a 33" tire would be any harder. Never drove one with the Toy set-up, so I can't comment.

I feel it is a matter of preference, and with that I perfer to stay Suzuki.

BTW, I've tried calling your shop to no avail. Can I buy an individual fiberglass fender flare from you to replace the one I broke?

Yankee Tim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 12:45 PM

It may be overkill but has anyone ever tried a Saginaw power setup on a Sami? That's the hot setup for jeep and there's a zillon of them in wrecking yards.

C-Ya.....................kh
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think Glen will ever answer your question. Just like usual.

Cam Iliff
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

A wha...?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2000, 03:01 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Just a few comments on the Toyota parts (being a Toyota guy and all [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

I am not sure what steering setup you are talking about, be it the IFS boxes for crossover steering or the solid axle boxes with the "push pull" system...

1. If you are talking about the solid axle boxes, they are plenty strong for use on a Suzuki - Toyota's haven been running big tires for years - I know for a fact 33" to 35" tires are no problem for these boxes, and 38's work well too...

2. If you are talking about the IFS boxes for a crossover type steering, This is what I use on my Toy with a swapped-in solid axle and 35x16 boggers... steering is EASY and the box is well up to the task. If it can do such a good job with my considerably heavier and larger tire'd vehicle, I can only imagine how well it would work in a Suzuki with 32's or 33's.

I don't want to get into a war of parts or brand loyalty, but I hardly think you would have ANY trouble finding Toyota parts far into the future... if anything, Suzuki parts are far more rare (look at the numbers of vehicles built and sent to the US - no arguement here).

If you want to stay with Suziki parts for sheer preference - that is fine. But trying to say the Toyota parts are inferior, hard to get, or just won't work as well (since you have not even drive a Toyota P/S equiped vehicle) is just not based in fact at all.

As a little side note... Those of you looking into Toyota P/S boxes, another variation that solid axle people are using instead of the IFS boxes is a box from some of the early 80's Cressida's... My understanding is that they are considerably beefier than the IFS boxes... who-da-think-it? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode