Glenn............Strange Engine Noise. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glenn............Strange Engine Noise.

Hey guys,

I've been told that the noise I'm about to describe is a common one, is this true and how do I fix it? The engine is the '85 SJ413, with a 5spd tranny.

It sounds like tappets, but it can't be. I've had them adjusted by three different people and the sound still remains. I had spoken to a guy once and he said that ifi were to remove the bottom pulley and check the 17mm nut in behind it to see if it loose. Aparently this nut goes onto the crank gears or something like that? Has anyone every come accross this?

I was also told that it could be piston slap. What are my alternatives if this is the case or can I fix this problem?

The sound is there all of the time, cold or hot. It also "taps" faster with the engine increasing in revs. It's every so slowly getting worse, but I want to to fix it now before I blow the crap out of something *L*. I have tried to locate the origin of the sound, but being an ally head the sound seems to come from everywhere. However, the sound is more prominent from the bottom half of the engine.

Thanks heaps
Skippy.

'85 SuziSkip
1.6 22R off it's rocker
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 05:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Glenn............Strange Engine Noise.

Glenn who?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 07:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

you need to get a long metal rod,BE CAREFUL,and put it on various places on eng.take the other end grip it and place thumb over the end closest to you .place that to your ear ,it will transfer noise thru rod,screw driver,to you and help you isolate the area the noise is coming from.hope this helps.ranger rick

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 01:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm probley the wrong Glenn But I'll give it a go, The engine in question is a toyota 22R? Or is it a zuke stock engine? either way sounds like it is time for a compression test and check your oil pressure. The trick with
the long screwdriver (Ala Rangerrick ) is to replace a stehascope. Very usefull. If your compression is low
for whichever engine it is, squirt some oil in each cylinder (Just one or two pumps from a can) and try again.
If the compression jumps up then the rings are tired and it could be time for a rebuild/replacment.
if your oil pressure is low then it could be your bearings.. Have you changed your oil lately? what did it look like?
Hows your timing?
Good luck.

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 04:06 PM

I thought all sammy engines do this.Maybe mine needs 911 help too.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did change the oil, plugs, filter, rotor button, dizzy cap when I serviced the car a few weeks ago. It's onyl started to make the noise since. Could it be because of the type of oil I put in? I have noticed that it is revving (once warm) higher than it was before I serviced it (2000rpm, when it was at 950-1000rpm). The oil was fine when it came out, just dirty. There wasn't any residue, or that I could notice, that would indicate bearing wear(silvery in colour). My gearbox did *laugh*, so I rebuilt it. The engine though, hmmmm, it's a mystery.

ps: it is the stock sammi engine ('85, 1.3). The 22r is going like a rocket.

'85 SuziSkip
1.6 22R off it's rocker
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 08:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Check your plug wires. did you put the same weight oil in? Have you timed it? (You should when you change your
dizzy cap) They do tend to make more noise as they get older but where it happened all of a sudden, I woud
keep checking. I had a bad "New " plug wire that screwed up my idle and power for a long time as I thought
no way it could be that!

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode