Idiots In Colorado Stuck On Cliff - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Idiots In Colorado Stuck On Cliff

In the Rocky Mountian News today I read an article about 2 Texans, one driving a J**p and the other driving a D**ge Ram. The idiots were 4wheeling aroung Ouray, Co (south-west). With NO reguard for the Tread lightly campiagn and signs on the roads they were on saying to STAY ON THE ROADS! they left the road and drove across tundra above timberline (12500 ft) where they promply lost there way and slid down a 70 deg slope to the top of a cliff (don't know how high) where the truck is ready to fall off the cliff and neither of them can climb the slope back to safty.

Well BLM land managers caught these two idiots. Fined them $300.00 each for leaving the marked trails and destroying the fraigile tundra. Also Ordered them to Remove the vehicles immediatly. No tow trucks or any vehicle that will cause more damage will be allowed to recover these vehicles. The vehicles can not stay there, so BLM Told these two to use Sky Cranes (Big helicopters) to get them down, at $9000.00 Per Hour!!! Out of Oregon, they have to pay flight time down and back.

These Idiots Deserve More of a fine I think, they got away with murder at $300.00!!.
they also desrve everthing that has happened to them!
These are the kind of people that are going to ruin off-highway driving for all of us.

Living in Colorado as I do, this infuriates me! Like the Nissan TV ad!
Please Do everthing you can to keep our roads open, if you see someone doing something that they shouldn't, tell them politly that they are doing wrong. Set a good example for everyone, expecially the next Gen of 4wheelers. I want my son to see the awesom backroads of Colorado.

Sorry for Preaching but this makes me mad.
If anyone would like a copy of the article I could email it to you.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Idiots In Colorado Stuck On Cliff

it's an important issue to be passionate about. i agree with everything you said!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2000, 10:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

amen man, cant agree with you more... too bad they couldnt get any more fines though. hit them where it hurts...
bb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
MUD is your friend baby!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2000, 06:15 PM

A $300.00 fine thats insane, and there vehicles weren't even impounded either. That would tick someone like yourself and many otheres. These people see these signs and think there being bossed around by "The Man", and that makes them think they have to do it. there sould be more than a stinkin fine instated for crimes like this. They sould get the helicopter bill insted.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2000, 08:03 PM

here are some pics

http://home.flash.net/~dgarber/postp.../Dsc00005a.jpg
http://home.flash.net/~dgarber/postp.../Dsc00011a.jpg
http://home.flash.net/~dgarber/postp.../Dsc00020a.jpg

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
2" S/R 30x9.50 M/T's
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2000, 09:07 PM

The articles from the Denver Post are linked in the "Landuse, General" section of this bbs.
The vehicles ended up on private land, so the BLM lost jurisdiction over the vehicles. It sounds like after a weeks worth of worry, many dollars spent and much ridicule received, these individuals have learned a great lesson. Its just too bad that they had to place a black mark on all off roaders - just to learn a lesson.

Soloman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode