Calmini header - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Calmini header

Any comments on the Calmini header? Fit, finish, function? I am leaning towards that one over the Thorley mainly 'cuz of the aluminized finish. Both are smog legal and look the same. Price difference isn't a problem, and I never had a late order from them.

Any comments?

Yankee Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 10:02 AM

Re: Calmini header

when did the calmini header become smog legal?

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
2" S/R 30x9.50 M/T's
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 10:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I can only comment on the pacesetter header from JC whitney, It works, I have hit it with rocks a couple of
times and it is holding up for now. Not smog legal, (I added the tube for egr?) In case they get pissy next year.
it is a bad fit though. I had to cut off the end down by the frame and reweld it so it would miss the frame.
But the cost difference paid for the rest of the parts for a full 2" exhuast Including cat con.

Glenn Loud
87' Zuke Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 11:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if cost is not a issue, go with the Thorley. It uses a tri-y design which gives better flow. It also has a thicker flange so warpage is not an issue. I have had mine for 3 years and have never had a problem yet

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 12:50 PM
pugrocker

The Calmini header is not smog legal, but it did pass emissions on my 1994 Sidekick - but note that I did not notice one ounce of difference in power.

On my 1988-1/2 I ordered the Thorley and it is a "CERTIFIED" smog legal bolt on - and you can really feel it - especially when you change the exhaust to a 2" or larger pipe and add a free flow cat and good muffler. One of the best Bolts ons I have added for power...and I think I even got better mpgs.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

You are right, the Calmini header is not smog legal yet. I called to check and they said it is still being tested and will soon have certification.

The Calmini and Thorley are virtually identical, except the Thorley doesn't that the O2 sensor in the collector as it should. The Thorley has a blanket cert, but to my knowledge, hasn't actually passed the Cal. tests. I could be wrong, and if someone has proof otherwise (not just the cert.), I'll stand corrected. From my understanding, the Thorley has a deadline to meet to pass the test or they lose their cert. I could be wrong there too.

As for the make itself, they are both tri-Y and almost the same. I've heard that the chrome-like finish on the thorlet doesn't hold up, where the alumifinish of the Camlini is pretty tough.

Other than that, I guess I could save a few bucks if I order the Calmini.

Yankee Tim

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 06:07 PM

Hey Yankee Tim--- My Calmini header has performed perfect since '91. I prefer the aluminized finish over the chrome finish. I would buy another one if my current one ever fails. You will definitely notice a power gain, so go ahead and get one!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2000, 10:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>You are right, the Calmini header is not smog legal yet. I >called to check and they said it is still being tested and >will soon have certification.

They've been saying this to customers for at least 5 years now. My fiance bought one about 4 years ago and that was the story she got at that time. We finally got rid of the stupid thing and swapped up to a Thorley.

On a side note, if you do get one, we sell a collector gasket specifically for that header since the collector flange is relatively thin and heat warps so easily. We sell quite a few of these reusable collector gasket to owners of that header.

Hardcore Suzuki products for hardcore enthusiasts.
http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode